Back in time: an Ocean City No. 209 'find' and still mint, Bamboo SW Rod

Started by RC4600, June 17, 2020, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I made an offer on a 209 being sold in Philly and it was accepted.  It should be on its way.  I beat Sal to it.  :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Sounds good Dom, do you have a rod for it, enjoy, Time you got that Wayne bloke, organized with his 3/0, he has possibly forgotten about it, his memory has gone he tells me, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Reeltyme

That reel is in very nice condition! For all that were not aware of these little beauties, Ocean City also made some "sisters" to the 209. Below you will find the 109 and the Seattle as well as my 209. These reels are quite hard to find but a "reel" joy to have in your collection. I do agree that they were Ocean City's answer to Penns 49 series or maybe vise-versa? Interesting question. Now I will have to delve into the books!

RC4600

Nice set, I found these ads when I was researching my #209 so I'll pass along. Guess they were all called Seattle's. Hard to believe they sold for the reels for the 'princely' sum of $11.00. hehe I was very impressed with the quality of construction, I've had a few other OC's nowhere this nice. Wonder what they are worth today? I seem to remember seeing one at around $135 a few years ago. RC

Donnyboat

Thanks men for all the pics & catalogs, nice bit of history, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

No coincidence they named these reels Seattle.

During that time frame, the Penn 49 was salmon fisherman's favorite reel in the Pacific Northwest

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

The Seattle is another one of those Ocean City reels that has a confused past. One thing for sure, it was a copy of the Penn 49 design. Penn brought these tall wire line trolling reels to the market in the late 1930's, Ocean City joined in in 1941 with the early Seattle model 1100's. After the war the Seattle model numbers changed to 210, 209 & 109. leave it to Ocean City to keep the "Confusion Aspect" alive and well. They were great reels but never commanded the market like the Penn tall reels did. They were introduced in 1941 and were gone by 1952. Can be difficult to find, especially the early Model 1100's. I have never had a Model 1100 in my hand. The catalog says it has dual controls, like a Penn 49, the later Seattle Models' did not have that. The Model 1100's were really Penn Model 49 knock offs. Not so much the post-war Seattle models.

Dominick

I finally arrived home after 16 weeks of isolating at our cabin in the mountains.  Heading back tomorrow.  Too much Covid 19 in San Mateo.  We had an appointment at the vet for molly (not my wife the dog) and we received a call that the appointment was cancelled because one of the staff tested positive so they all need to be tested and quarantined for 14 days.  I'm getting out of here. 

The OC 209 was waiting for me and I was anxious to take it apart.  It is in good condition but I ran into a problem with getting the spool off.  there is no rust but I think the spool is stuck due to corrosion in the pinion gear.  It just won't come out.  Fred to the rescue.  He said to send it to him and he will see what the problem is.  Then he is going to hand deliver it to Wayne after working on it.  As far as good guys go Fred is one of the best.  Here's to you Fred (beer in hand.)  Thank you.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Hold on to your brew — until you see the bill, Counselor!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

I got so frustrated trying to take it apart, that whatever the charge it is worth it.  Besides, I know you, the charge will be reasonable.  You can have my first and second born but, you will pay me to send them back.   ;D  Dominick

Brewcrafter

I'm guessing the only reason Dominick was having a tough time getting the reel apart was because his good set of screwdrivers disappeared off his porch.  :D - john

El Pescador

Quote from: Brewcrafter on July 02, 2020, 03:20:45 PM
I'm guessing the only reason Dominick was having a tough time getting the reel apart was because his good set of screwdrivers disappeared off his porch.  :D - john

BAMB  ;D

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Got it in the mail this afternoon, Dominick --

Got it apart -- like you and I figured -- the pinion was corroded onto the spool shaft.

A fair amount of Green Verdigris corrosion inside the narrow frame assembly, some rust in other places -- but not bad -- just about what is expected -- no big deal.  

I'll soak it in mineral spirits for a couple of days -- then hit it with the Ultrasonic Cleaner to finish it up -- burnish all of the parts -- replace the drags -- synthetic Grease and oil -- grease the innards and the screws, test, confirm all functions, retest and fine tune -- bag it and give it to Wayne in 9 days -- along with some other OC's for you.

I would normally just do the US cleaner right now -- with lacquer thinner -- but we have guests for the holiday -- and are going to watch Hamilton streaming tonight -- and be a good host to entertain relatives, eat hot dogs, chili beans, watermelon, and ice cream.  And my sister-in-law is sleeping down the hall from the upstairs reel shop -- so I don't want to bother her as she enjoys the mountains over the weekend.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.