Back in time: an Ocean City No. 209 'find' and still mint, Bamboo SW Rod

Started by RC4600, June 17, 2020, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Fred, you are the best.  I did not want to force it because I did not want to bend the yoke.  How were you able to force it out of there?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Used the ancient Alan Tani double Screwdriver opposing sides twist lift technique, Dominick --

Removed every screw possible on the plates and bridge to get a little daylight and separation wiggle room.

2 old screwdrivers -- inspected the safe spots for the driver blades with a flashlight -- evenly twisted the screwdrivers so that the pinion and engagement collar would come off of the spool axle.  Generally this works if the rust isn't too bad.

No damages.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Yes Fred the screw driver trick, comes in handy, I had trouble with a GTI 330, tail plate bearing about 2 weeks ago, managed to direct some acetone & auto trans oil 50/50 through a syringe, onto the spool shaft, keeping in mind of the line level & clicker plastic cogs, let it sit for  two days, managed to get it moving in & out enough to get the screw driver in there, & koo bang, out came the bearing still on the spool shaft, I have made up a puller, & managed to get the bearing off, funny when your having trouble like that, we tend to say, he`s a bastard, but when you get it working, then she`s a beauti, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Got the 80 year old OC 209 completed for Dominick --

Removed the Verdigris green corrosion, crud, neutralized and stopped the rust, polished all of the insides -- and the exterior as much as possible.

Needed to do a little surgery for a couple of broken off screws in the posts.  Typically, I would just replace the posts -- but these narrow guys are beyond tough to source.  So -- drill, extract, re-tapped a couple.

Found some new 80 YO OC drags in an old bin.

This is a very narrow reel at 1 1/8" wide -- but a tall spool.

New drags, new lubricants, 1 minute and 40 seconds of free-spool with brass bushings.

This reel is impressive.  The engineering and components of this old OC -- are actually stronger than a Penn -- not the 349 -- but the 49.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Let's hear it for Fred.  That is professional work.  Fred has the hands of a surgeon.  A minute and 40 seconds of free spool.  You can't beat it.  Thanks Fred.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Dominick

A little background.  A couple of years ago some of the AT members put together a trip to Lake Edison in the Southern Sierras (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20865.0).  My Wife, Linda and I went and we had a great time.  Upon arrival we visited with Fred at his campsite.  Linda mentioned that she was hungry and Fred, ever the fine host made her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Linda was thrilled and told Fred that it was "the best pbj she had ever had.  As a matter of fact she reminds Fred of that fact every chance she gets.  So as you know this thread is about Ocean City 209 and that I sent the reel to Fred to service it for me.  A couple of weeks ago the reel was returned with a couple of surprises.  A well serviced reel and a knife for me.  A jar of peanut butter and jelly for Linda.  We love you Fred.  Dominick

Penn Chronology

QuoteA little background.  A couple of years ago some of the AT members put together a trip to Lake Edison in the Southern Sierras (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20865.0).  My Wife, Linda and I went and we had a great time.  Upon arrival we visited with Fred at his campsite.  Linda mentioned that she was hungry and Fred, ever the fine host made her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Linda was thrilled and told Fred that it was "the best ppj she had ever had.  As a matter of fact she reminds Fred of that fact every chance she gets.  So as you know this thread is about Ocean City 209 and that I sent the reel to Fred to service it for me.  A couple of weeks ago the reel was returned with a couple of surprises.  A well serviced reel and a knife for me.  A jar of peanut butter and jelly for Linda.  We love you Fred.  Dominick

I am impressed. No doubt Fred is a special guy. Anyone that likes Smuckers Peanut Butter knows what the best is.