Avet TRX 130 design flaw!

Started by Noahg727, June 18, 2020, 12:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

So I recently bought a Avet TRX 130 thinking it was the baddest reel out with aims to catch a White from the beach. (Never been done in SC) Iv fished it a few times with no fish and no issues...but out of no where everyone who has them and has been fishing them is reporting the same problem. After applying heavy drag to a fish, the drag sometimes gets stuck. Like you can move the lever into free spool and the drag is still engaged. Apparently the only way to loosen the drag or return it to normal when that happens is to bang on the side of the side plate. What mechanically Would be the reason for this? I'm wondering do I just swap it out for another 130 or do is there a simple fix that would ensure this wouldn't happen.

Thanks
Noah 

There a picture of a 12'5" tiger we recently caught just for fun 🤷‍♂️

alantani

first guess is corrosion.  the drag pressure plates ride on the spool shaft.  it might be there.  bottom line is that it has to come apart to see where it's hanging up.  it's gotta be somewhere in there.  just gotta find it.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

The sad thing is these are all brand reels. Sometimes the intire handle locks up too apparently? And it won't even turn. How could this slip past them?

alantani

if the handle locks up, my first thought would be a busted gear tooth. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Noahg727

Could be...maybe they are to strong for the gears to withstand 🤷‍♂️

MarkT

There's a bearing supporting the drag plate. Any corrosion there would cause that issue. That bearing needs to be able to slide on the spool shaft.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Noahg727

Turns out the Springs aren't strong enough to push back the drag stack after it's compressed. Avet is working on finding stronger springs...in the meantime Iv already found some of my own. If anyone has this issue I can send you the link to the spring I found.