Disposing of Old Fishing Line

Started by foakes, June 18, 2020, 01:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

This week, and last weekend -- in between weed-eating, cutting and splitting timber, and a quick trip to Merced yesterday -- I have been catching up on the backlog of reel services and repairs.

Decided to attack the conventional salt reels this week.  Working on spinners next week.  

I always strip off the old line -- and spool up fresh -- as a general procedure to clean and protect the spool along with the rest of the reel being ready to go.  If the client wants to install their own line -- the old stuff still gets stripped off and discarded.

The cheapest and most effective part of our gear is fresh line every season or two.

Although many wharfs and Coastal areas -- plus some tackle shops offer recycling bins for monofilament -- it is not practical where we live.  Plus, I like to know that the line has been destroyed so it won't tangle up or strangle wildlife -- even in a landfill.  

So here is a couple of boxes from this week -- ready to tape up, label, and toss on the burn piles when possible.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

If you've ever seen fishing that has wrapped around a propeller shaft you will not throw line off the boat either.  It melts into a hard ring and looks like a gasket.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Fred, Berkeley will send you a giant pre-paid shipping box to send used monofilament line to them.  I send them 30 lb of it every 3 or 4 months. 

foakes

Not a bad idea, Randy -- I did not know that.

i will check with them.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Randy - That's great to know about Berkeley!  Especially for folks that are "in the biz" and are generating large amounts of old line.  Since I am strictly a hobbyist I pretty much have always pulled it off and set it aside to turn into my local tackle shop.  I have never had a reputable shop refuse to take it, but to be perfectly honest I have no idea what they do with it I just assumed they all recycled/disposed of it in a proper manner. - john

CapeFish

Quote from: Dominick on June 18, 2020, 02:11:16 AM
If you've ever seen fishing that has wrapped around a propeller shaft you will not throw line off the boat either.  It melts into a hard ring and looks like a gasket.  Dominick

birds without legs are even worse. I put mine in the recycling bin

Cuttyhunker

I've been using old seltzer bottles as an arbor and spin off the old stuff, with a bolt through the cap using a cordless drill.  I used to recycle until one morning I watched the G-man dump the recycle into the trash can then all together now into the big bin.  Been loathe to send them out that way any more, so the loaded bottles have been collecting.  Headed off to Berkley's site, thanks Randy
Doomed from childhood

Hardy Boy

They used to collect it here at sporting goods stores for recycling but not anymore , they said it was too expensive. Maybe Berkley will do the same here in Canada, I don't like tossing it and burning plastic in town is not cool with neighbors.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

It would be nice if Berkley does the prepaid box to recycle the fishing line.

I read somewhere that burning nylon etc releases toxic stuff that might not be good for you.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

foakes

Quote from: Gobi King on June 18, 2020, 04:23:29 PM
It would be nice if Berkley does the prepaid box to recycle the fishing line.

I read somewhere that burning nylon etc releases toxic stuff that might not be good for you.

Everything in the world seems to be toxic, Gobi --

Heck, here in California, anything ordered online or in a retail store has to have a California warning label advising the consumer that it may contain Chemicals known to cause cancer.  This would be even a screwdriver with an acrylic or plastic handle.  Actually, anything plastic.  It is a worthless new law that no one pays attention to.  It is just there to protect the manufacturers from lawsuit prone attorneys. 

For me, I burn large slash piles that are 10' X 10' X 6' -- a few times a year.  Our property is open with no close neighbors.  When the fire 🔥 is flaming at around 800 degrees -- a box of monofilament lasts about 30 seconds before vaporizing.  I was taught to stay upwind of the smoke when I was a little child.

The smoke is 1000 times larger than any tiny amount of nylon vapor -- and even the smoke is gone within a short time.

Not a problem for a once in a while deal.

But I will contact Berkley -- since we really are responsible with our recycling and disposal efforts.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on June 18, 2020, 04:47:52 PM
  It is just there to protect the manufacturers from lawsuit prone attorneys. 

Fred

Hey I resemble that remark...Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

wfjord

I always recycle every thing I can, but there's no one here I've ever been aware of that recycles old line. I'll look further into that.  I do always make it a point to cut up all old line in small pieces so it's not a threat to wildlife.  Takes me a little while longer to cut up spectra braid, but I do it.  I've seen enough dead animals wrapped in fishing line.  Last one I saw was a dead Great Blue Heron hanging from a limb at the top of a dead tree by a local river.  It appeared to be hooked and wrapped up in a trotline someone left behind.

wailua boy

We were seeing a lot of mono recycling drop off points at most of the easily accessible fishing spots(like oc1 posted) unfortunately people were using them for garbage and recently they pulled them, too bad.

oc1

All our trash of that sort gets incinerated for making electricity.  I guess they have some good scrubbers because you never smell it.
-steve