What is a thread in linen?

Started by Cuttyhunker, July 13, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

I came across a diagram I used in a trade journal article that I thought would be helpful for folks here that hear the term thread bandied about as a linen line indicator but don't understand it's meaning.  The thread is simply the first bundle if linen fibers twisted together to form a thread of about 6 to 8 pound strength, as I recall, please correct if you have better data. The threads were then twisted into the 3 strands then those
strands into the line.  If your strand had 8 threads the line was 24 thread, 18 thread strands yielded 54 thread(s) to the line. The final count would always be divisible by three.   The diagram is for rope and has a plethora of threads, certainly more than you would want to put on a reel.
Doomed from childhood

oc1

The rule of thumb is three pounds per thread when wet for Irish linen.

The strands are threads in an clockwise 'S' twist.  The finished line is three strands in a counterclockwise 'Z' twist.

-steve

Cuttyhunker

Thanks Steve, I knew it was less than ten.  Speaking of wet, the cotton rope popular with horse folks is the only rope that gains strength when wet.
Doomed from childhood

oc1

Linen is stronger when wet too.  But as soon as it gets wet it begins the long process of decay.  Hence the line dryer.
-s

Cuttyhunker

The diagram I posted was a 3 stage line used in ropes and cordage, Manila and early synthetics used in commercial fishing were 4 stage construction, the "D" finished rope in the photo would be used as one of the 3 (or four) strands in a finished rope. The photo show 3 bundles in each strand that would be referred to as the thread in that style of construction, or a 9 thd rope, about 5/16" dia, 12 thd 3/8", 6 thd 1/4" etc.  Like fishing line thread size is rarely used in cordage, except by the old timers on the lobstering docks of New England. The 4 strand twist was mainly used as a core for wire ropes, there was also a 2 ply (strand) twine used for hand making the netting (heads) in lobster pots referred to as heading twine, easier on the hands coming off the netting needle than a braid.  I don't hear S and Z very often.
Doomed from childhood