Cavalla Strange Drag Problem

Started by Jerseybros, June 18, 2020, 11:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseybros

I have a set of 6x Okuma Cavalla 50W two speed.

With one of the reels I just started experiencing a strange drag problem, definitely not a sticky drag but I im not sure what to call it.
When I go to set the drags, (Rod in holder, pull with scale) slow pull off the rod tip gives very smooth tension, let's call it 15lbs (normal strike is 22lbs). If I pull off the tip slightly faster, the drag spikes to like 35+lbs, which is no bueno, when I was setting that one I didn't even make it past 15lbs and just swapped it out for the spare. Every other reel on a fast pull gives like 5 lbs higher of drag which is perfect, I set my reels at 22lbs and I know no matter how hard a fish takes off I'm still at the 1/3rd rule fishing 80lb topshot.

I am very mechanically inclined and do all of my maintenance myself, just tore it apart again last night and re-greased the drag with cal's, smooth as butter but the same weird ramp up.

I am hoping someone might have experienced the same issue, even with a different reel and how'd you fix it. Just looking for a direction where to start.

alantani

I can think of two possibilities.  The first is that the drag washer is only partially greased. The second is bad guides on the rod. Maybe pull the drag washer and regrease it, and try a different rod.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jerseybros

Thanks Alan, I will try both of those after work today and report back.

Wolli

the problem with the drag can be solved with a simple modification.

1. remove the "drag washer" 611-1. Its not a real washer, but only made of cloth and makes no sense.
2. change the Adjust Block, key 602-1 against the marked parts of the Makaira 50W-II

The Adjust Block is made of too soft plastic, probably Delrin, and was damaged after a short time...

After the modifikation the reel is now in its third year of use on a Fishing Lodge in Croatia without any problems.

Good Luck
Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Jerseybros

Following up on this, ordered a new drag washer and she's good as new.
Interesting modification with the drag cam from a mak.  My set of Cavalla's has been pretty much bulletproof other than this issue and a few shift pins slipping out.

Tom

Maybe We Can Fix It

Nice post! 

Thanks for the follow up.
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!