Huge annual sardine run in South Africa drone footage and shark fishing

Started by CapeFish, June 24, 2020, 10:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

Some excellent footage of the annual sardine run, it has been a whopper. And we have restricted travel!

Cor

Nice!    I always love the black colour of the shoal of sardines, you just can't miss them!
Cornelis

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

AWESOME!!!
wonder if anyone has yet figured out a way of using drone(s)
to deploy something like a 20'-30' casting net...
seems like that would be the place

RowdyW

Just another way to upset the balance of nature with greed.          Rudy

foakes

Nice video, Leon --

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Awesome.  In Japan, they use a similar technique to catch Aji (horse mackerel).  The whole community comes out to help the fisherman gather the Aji and put them in buckets, take it up to the beach, where there is a team of fisherman processing the catch (cleaning, butterflying, and brining for drying) and selecting the nicest ones in packaging displays to be sold to the sushi bars.  Quite an experience.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CapeFish

Quote from: RowdyW on June 24, 2020, 01:37:12 PM

The shoals often come in and just beach themselves. It is hit and miss every year and this type of netting is not allowed outside of the sardine run. It is apparently the largest migration on earth. I would love to see it, but you literally have to be able to go at the drop of a hat and they can vanish as fast as they appear.

Swami805

Great footage, the birds eye view in the clear water is something. Thanks!!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Quote from: RowdyW on June 24, 2020, 01:37:12 PM
Not everyone can fish for sardines.  Sharing is caring.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brewcrafter

whalebreath

Fabulous video-Thanks for sharing!

I've pulled seine in the Caribbean but not in that kind of surf or with Sharks cruising like that.

CapeFish

You can actually see the big sardine bait travelling through the air, landing and then the shark picking it up. Must say I have not been a big fan of drones but they do produce spectacular footage. There are quite a few updates on Toutube qith more footage. It is a pretty big run this year. Whales and massive dolphin schools also follow the shoal.

conchydong

The footage of Sharks up close on the Beach with the Sardines is very similar to what we experience in South Florida during the baitfish migrations.. I had the great pleasure to fly in a Goodyear Blimp many years ago over the South Florida coastline during the migration season and it was amazing how many Sharks were swimming among the beach goers. I counted hundreds of Sharks and the swimmers literally had no clue they were even there.

Scott

Donnyboat

Yes there was a huge Sardine school, a few years back, about 400 miles North of Perth Western Australia, the larger fish had them tight up against some cliffs, hundreds of people, caught a good view of it, they were there for about 3 weeks, their were sharks & Whales, & many other species of fish into it, dog eat dog so to speek, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat