Penn 650 SS

Started by crooksea, April 01, 2009, 06:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crooksea

Alan I have some older 650SS spinfishers, same vintage as the International 20's you rebuilt for me. Would these reels stand up to deep jigging with braid? Can I increase the drag. Thanks Ed

alantani

probably not.  they have the smaller #6-155 drag washers.  the larger reels have the #6-60 drags.  these #6-155's will limit your functional drag to about 5 pounds.  now, if your jigging with 30# braid and a 5 pound drag setting, that's fine, but i doubt that's what you're doing.

to bump up the drag pressure any amount at all you'd have to replace the teflon washer with another #6-155.  you'd also have to replace the fiber washer under the gear with a #6-113 drag washer that was cut down to the same outer diameter of the #6-155.  then you'd have to grease everything or these small drag washers will stick like crazy.  it's simple to do, but you will still not get to the 12 pound drag setting that you minimally need.  well, on second thought, you might, but if something gives out, it will not be pretty...........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!