I made a bearing tool!!!

Started by ky_sharker, June 25, 2020, 03:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky_sharker

I got the idea from the bearing bad puller (if anyone knows where to find these I'd like to know). As some of you know I am having issues with a reel build and I was told it was probably bad bearings so I fought a lot with them till I found an old pair of tweezers. Some bending cutting and filing a few minutes later I had both the old ones out. Just waiting on new ones from boca bearing to come in now

MarkT

That looks like it works good. I usually use a box nail with half the head cut off held with a pair of vice grips.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

oc1

Congratulations.  Good job,  It's best to pull it by the outside race instead of the inside race.  That way the cage can't be warped.  But, you do what you have to do and once you get it out there is the option to keep or replace.
-steve

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wolli

Hi Steeve, you're basically right. Only I don't know of any fishing reel where you can grab a ball bearing from the outside. They're almost all in one seat. Except one or two on the spool shaft.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Brendan

Steve how do you remove bearings by the outside race?
I'm not getting it. And I have destroyed some bearings that were really stuck.
Thanks in advance, Brendan.

oc1

Quote from: Brendan on June 25, 2020, 01:34:38 PM
Steve how do you remove bearings by the outside race?
I'm not getting it. And I have destroyed some bearings that were really stuck.
Thanks in advance, Brendan.
The toilet paper trick, I guess.  If a bearing is stuck and can only be removed by the inside race I figure it is probably going to be trashed.  Since there is nothing left to lose, you have the luxury of just prying it out with a pick and tossing it rather than fussing around with it.  Even if it has to come out in pieces.  Except for maybe a Squidder, most bearings are dirt cheap, despite being delicate and precision little things.
-steve

Brendan

Is that like wedging a Q Tip in and pulling it out?
I've had that work but not sure if it would on worse case scenario.
Thanks, Brendan.

ky_sharker

Hey steve. I decided not to try the toilet paper trick this time and I'm going to change the bearings anyway because my spool is rubbing the frame. I'll try making the bent part longer and see if I can still get it inside the bearing so it is pulling from the outside part.

Lalo13

GEEEEENNNIIIOOOOOUUUUSSSSSSS !!!! in my best Pavaroti ..

Tiddlerbasher

If a bearing is on the spool shaft it needs to be pulled off by the inner race NOT the outer race ;)

Brendan

Just wondering if anyone has tried the mini bearing pullers from Autotronics? I didn't want to post the link because it had a security warning. I think they still pull from the inner race though.
And I have no idea how much they cost as well.
Brendan.

Gfish

Wondering about ball bearing holders. Old Penn reels have metal cups(e.g., Senators)which are good for stability, but bad if never pre-serviced with corrosion protection. Pulling a b.bearing out of an aluminum plate/frame can scratch the finish and be seemingly as bad as metal for removal if not pre-serviced. Had a couple of problems with old Accurate upgrade plates and stuck b.bearings.
I hate plastic composites but there's probably not that issue. Then there's the ones that'ed deformed on purpose to hold the b.bearing in place(Abu).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

don't know how i missed this, but i just ordered a set of tweezers from ebay.  gonna give this a try.  thanks!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!