Cool Tools by Benni

Started by foakes, June 25, 2020, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Yesterday, Benni sent me a message about a new post we might try -- regarding old tools that we may find interesting, useful, and unique.

Thought it was a good idea -- so to expand a bit on Benni's idea -- how about a post where we share a neat old tool from the past, a new tool from around the world, or even a particular tool we have modified or invented to do a job more efficiently?

We all know that many tools for metal-working, mechanics, wood-workers, reelsmiths, rod wrappers, and household chores -- can be useful for our reel work -- or other projects we get into.  Most, if not all of you -- are very clever, mechanically inclined, and skilled with many talents.  So this should be right up our alleys.

I will start off -- but this isn't about me, or any one of us -- it is to give us new ideas from the old school, new schools, or our workshops -- to share with others.

Here are a couple of old Eifel Geared Pliers that never cease to amaze me.  Patented in 1916 -- these were the fore-runner to our modern day adjustable crescent wrenches -- but much more solid, stronger, and built to last.  I keep one pair in the mobile work box -- and one in my outer mechanical shop rolling Snap-On Taco Tool Chest.

These never fail to do the job.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

If anybody has a 1929 Baldwin steam locomotive, and is short the wrench that tightens the pitman rod nuts.....I have one :P.

I never slam the door too hard...'cause if it fell on my head, I'm sure it would hurt !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

Great job ,,,,,, :D now we got a tool tread ok I did some car interior work and you got to have good shears new and old,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

Ball bearings on those ! I've never seen that before !  Must have been a pretty pricey pair of pinkers !! :D

I used to collect 'old tools", but sold most of them , when we moved to the new place....here's one wrench, that I kept, along with a page from an "older" Popular Mechanics magazine:
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Benni3

That's a very cool looking wrench,,,,,,, 8)

Benni3

Ok my dad got this at a estate sale two gauges and a Robinair recovery and recharging system for $15 and I was gave a tank of r34a freon from kme when they were going out of business,,,,, ;) a little help from friends and family I guess you say,,,,,,, ;D

Crow

happyhooker

My dad was a pretty good handyman.  Not just a tinkerer.  He could fix most anything, and the few things he couldn't fix. he had knowledge enough to know it.  His main qualification to do this stuff, besides just the basic knowledge involved, was that he was not intimidated by new problems or new technology.  He had, with a partner, a TV repair shop they started a few years after he got out of the Navy after WW II, at a time when TV was pretty new to most people, TV was still a little squirrelly to operate and TVs were expensive enough to warrant repair.  When personal computers came out, he dived right in.  He liked gadgets--not just Rube Goldberg stuff, but things that actually worked.  I almost never tackle a repair job without thinking about him.

Here are a couple of tools I found in his toolbox after he passed away.  The first is a "Crick-It".  Awfully handy for those hard to reach bolts/nuts that you can get a socket or open end wrench on, but there is minimal clearance to turn the wrench.  Squeezing the wrench handle operates a ratchet to speedily turn the nut off or remove the bolt.  Reversible too.  You could buy them about 35-40 years ago for about $25, so they weren't cheap tools.  And, US made.  The other item is a "Kant Twist" clamp, a name brand of what is also called a cantilever clamp.  I believe you can still buy these for a little under $20 apiece, so they, too, are not cheap.  They really grip whatever you want to hold together, and the clamp ends have a little groove for round parts.

Frank

wideopenoutdoors

Not exactly a super unique tool, but im in the process of restoring and getting ths antique south bend lathe in order. Its a 1942/3 from the serial number and the stamps on the ways indicate it was used by the navy.
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

oc1

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 30, 2020, 08:14:59 PM
antique south bend lathe

Those have a great reputation.  Best of luck moving it.
-steve

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: oc1 on June 30, 2020, 08:24:55 PM
Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on June 30, 2020, 08:14:59 PM
antique south bend lathe

Those have a great reputation.  Best of luck moving it.
-steve

Thanks, my father used to move safes at one point, so between the two of us, the tractor, some floor Jack's, and some big oak blocks we got it in the garage!
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

Gfish

A Sears Craftsman "electronic handsaw" and a Stanley "handyman"(made in England-!?). What's cool about these? Well made, sturdy tools.
Got the "electronic handsaw" at a yard sale. Don't know the aprox. age, but the spare blades had cardboard sleeves(don't have 'em no more, darn!) with lettering/pictures that smack of the 40's or 50's. Weighs about 10lbs., has a 10ft. cord, only 3 plastic knobs and a plastic rheostat connected to the metal trigger.

The hand-planer was from Uncle Al's estate. All metal and wood. Surprisingly difficult to reassemble after complete disassembly and cleaning, much like some reels can be. I think it's mainly about knowing what each part is supposed to do, and how it's supposed to do it.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Hand planer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

There are people who can date those Stanley planes.  It's a classic and has been around forever.  Back the adjustment screw out before assembling.  Search "Stanley wood plane parts" to get a schematic-like picture. 

In our junior high shop class Mr. Festus Smith made everyone become proficient with those.  It's really satisfying to use when everything is sharp and adjusted and the wood is cooperating.  But, it's like trying to get the stars to align.
-steve

happyhooker

Quote from: oc1 on July 10, 2020, 05:57:14 AM
There are people who can date those Stanley planes.  It's a classic and has been around forever.  Back the adjustment screw out before assembling.  Search "Stanley wood plane parts" to get a schematic-like picture. 

In our junior high shop class Mr. Festus Smith made everyone become proficient with those.  It's really satisfying to use when everything is sharp and adjusted and the wood is cooperating.  But, it's like trying to get the stars to align.
-steve

I've had one of those big, beautiful planes for a long time, and as near as I can recall, I've never successfully used it for anything.  I could've used a Mr. Smith in my past.

Frank