So, what did you do during the Virus lock down?

Started by RC4600, June 25, 2020, 11:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC4600

Ok, after everything I own was polished, the lawn was mowed, boat washed, RV cleaned,  I needed a small project since the boat ramps were closed, I didn't need to wrap another rod or build a reel, shooting range shut down - this kinda got out of hand. What did everyone else do during home confinement? RC

thorhammer

ok step back here- those are some sweet plugs! tell us what you did, then I will respond to your original question :)

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

RC4600

They are handmade, yes. Carved, rasped, dremel tooled and sanded from scrap hobby wood, mostly hardwood.  I had some birch, mahogany, walnut, lacewood, other and then some soft wood. No particular design, other than looking like baitfish. All were lead weighted to float upright. Finish was airbrushed acrylic with polyurethane topcoat. I left some of the wood grain which added depth and ended up looking pretty cool. The eyes, hangers, hooks, hardware, etc are from lurepartsonline.com and the bucktail material is also from them, hand tied. The one trolling lure is aluminum, just cause I go bored and thought I would try one. Thats about it. And, thx for the compliment. RC

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures,  and 😯,  that's a lot of work and you have some great skills.
   I'm glad you have some good hobbies,  it's kinda fun when you have time to play.
      Best of luck to you.  Keep busy,  time will pass.  🎣

Cor

Well you spent your time doing more useful stuff then I did, and what beautiful results!

I just did much maintenance, most things that have been on the to do list  for a long time are now done. :) :) 

Only one nuisance job left, trying to fix my Stihl Chainsaw.     I have re built and repaired many internal combustion engines, but this stupid thing has got me beat.    It seems to have a fuel problem, the internet is full of solutions, but none are helping mine!
Cornelis

gstours

Ok.  My wife and I went for a walk from our house to the shore (beach) and saw the tracks of a bear visitor.

foakes

Quote from: Cor on June 26, 2020, 06:13:21 AM
Well you spent your time doing more useful stuff then I did, and what beautiful results!

I just did much maintenance, most things that have been on the to do list  for a long time are now done. :) :) 

Only one nuisance job left, trying to fix my Stihl Chainsaw.     I have re built and repaired many internal combustion engines, but this stupid thing has got me beat.    It seems to have a fuel problem, the internet is full of solutions, but none are helping mine!

Yes, those are beautiful baits that you crafted, RC!  They would be in a shadow box if they were mine -- hanging on the wall.

On the Stihl chainsaw, Cor --

I do the work, repairs, and maintenance on mine -- and like you probably already know -- it still goes back to the basics -- spark/no spark -- fuel/no fuel.  For me, fuel issues have generally been a clogged filter, bad carb, or crimped line.

On one of my medium size Stihls (036 running 28" bar) -- 2 years ago I had a non-start issue that I traced to a probable defective magneto.  Called all of the Stihl places nearby -- $134!  All shops priced the same.  I was also hesitant to get the magneto for $134 -- in case that was not the culprit.

Got on Amazon -- OEM out of China was $24 -- shipped -- 2 days.  Took a chance, it has worked flawlessly for 3 years, and countless cords and rounds of timber.  Just set and fine-tuned the gap properly -- and ready to go.

My go-to suppliers for Stihl & Husqvarna are RL Supply out of Florida & Baileys up North.

I bought the 036 for $300 on CL -- and wasn't going to pay $134 for a 2 ounce magneto assembly -- if I did not have to.

I am not good at rebuilding carbs -- so I can order a new one from RLS for 1/4 of what Stihl wants.

I know you are in SA --  but the internet is your friend on these chainsaw issues when it comes to parts.

Just cruise the ratings on function, shipping, customer satisfaction, etc..

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Got a little more sanity back due to finally having the time to manage a household, do long overdue maintenance(cleaning, sharpening, lubrication, reorganization and junk elimination)and personal paperwork business stuff(which I hate more'n almost anything).

Today will be bank, rent, tax accountant and hardware store(missing sockets and drill bits), I'm ready for it and the business stuff is not bothering me like it used to. If I do something not right, I have time to redo it.

Back to partial week-work, as of last week, and I gotta say sheltering in place and social distancing was a hassel at times, but mostly a good and needed experience. Love to be able to do this once/year!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

Thanks foakes (Fred)
I have checked though everything I know and then double checked from 2 websites, same stuff and procedure.    Everything seems to check out, without dismantling the major parts.    The motor will start, and usually run fine at idle, then as soon as you give it some gas, it sounds like it starts to run lean and dies.   I got a new carburetor kit, made no difference.  Cleaned and removed both filters, made no difference. Intermittently it runs for 3 minutes, I even cut  5 pieces of firewood, till it decided to resume its nonsense.   I replaced the fuel hose and that was not it.   Looking through the port I don't see damage on the piston, and can feel it has compression.

I systematically checked everything, adjusted carburettor (one screw), numerous times, checked spark plug.

There are numerous websites with how to fix your chainsaw problems, many refer to this issue that I have and the solution is always something that I have already done. >:(

Stihl has an agency here, so parts are obtainable.   If only I knew which part.

I have another similar machine, so I will probably systematically start swapping each and every part on it till the fault is located.

Sorry for hijacking this thread ???

Mine has a Zama carburetor, made in China which can be bought there with a different name and apparently works fine for $10-00 plus shipping.
Cornelis

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bryan Young

You guys looks like you were able to knock off some items in your to do and honey do lists...I had to work. >:(
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

theswimmer

Cor ,
Stihl saws should have a carb that has three screws . It should have a low speed jet , a high speed jet and an idle jet .
Check out the post from White Tail , this is the proper way to adjust your carb.
My bet is on your carb which is the true heart of a 2 stroke engine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adjusting+carb+on+stihl+chainsaw&oq=adjustment+ot+carb+on+stihl&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.26721j1j8&client=tablet-android-acer&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Aiala

"So, what did you do during the Virus lock down...?"

Wished I could go fishing, and got ready to be locked down again because too many people were behaving as though we'd gotten the all-clear.  >:(

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D