anybody remember a cane/fiberglass custom rod post?

Started by RC4600, July 02, 2020, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC4600

I seem of remember someone who was grafting a glass front section to cane butt section to build a sw rod, anyone remember the link or the member? I have seem some custom fly rod builders doing this with good results, and pretty cool looking. Thought I might try one. RC

oc1

I've done a lot of those.  There was one photo in the "show your collections" thread and others scattered elsewhere.  On my computer it is page 61 of this thread

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10064.900

Best to use Calcutta cane.  Available from the bamboo place in Huntington Beach.  Calcutta has a thin outside diameter, thick walls and thin inside diameter.  You can bore it out a bit to make the butt of the blank fit nicely.  

I'm always after long ultralight baitcasting rods so usually start with a 8.5 to 9 foot fly rod, cut off the reel seat, and then stick the exposed butt into the bamboo.  Sometimes save the cork.

-steve

RC4600

thx, that's what I seem to remember. I have a old bamboo sw rod that I stripped (because it was trashed and I used the butt on another restoration rod) and the rod seems v.solid; I am thinking about using 3-4' the butt and adding a graphite or F/G top section. Kinda like you did on those only longer section of bamboo. Just thinking(?) Bamboo for lifting power, glass forend for sensitivity, and I think it might look cool. Yours do. RC

philaroman

you want a long(ish) split-cane butt w/ glass tip -- correct?
prob. need/want a metal ferrule for the boo -- correct?
look for old Conolons to source as parts:
pretty sure there were Live Fiber models that were
7'6" w/ tip section (4'?) noticeably longer than butt
& really nice "Super Z" brass ferrules
(US-made?  ...held up extremely well over decades)

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on July 03, 2020, 05:26:47 AM
you want a long(ish) split-cane butt w/ glass tip

Sorry, I misunderstood.

You might want to stress test the split cane before going too far with it.  Someday we will be at the point where all the old split cane has deteriorated to the point that it is unusable.  There is new split cane, but the domestic-made is very expensive and the Chinese-made cannot be trusted.

Get a ferrule and space the ferrule to fit the cane without having to shave it down.  That always makes a weak spot.

Finding the right marriage will be the tricky part.  If there is not a gradual and uniform transfer of power from the tip section into the butt section then there will be either a huge dead spot or a weak spot around the ferrule. 

Without some luck you might find that the transition area from glass to cane either does not transfer power smoothly or the taper is not uniform and looks funny.

You can use a four-inch long lashing to temporarily tie the two sections together.  You'll want to fool around with it and test the bend before you commit to cutting anything. 

-steve

oldmanjoe

:) Sounds like a nice project, .    I have one on the back burner , but i am going with fiber bottom and boo top.
   I rather have multiple tips that i can fine tune  and fish with.
   I am thinking that the handle will be more like a Tennessee handle with some movable weights. 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

RC4600

OMJoe, your concept seems to be the preferred way to build boo/glass hybrids; fyi there is a guy in Europe making fly rods that way - I know you are doing a different rod but worth a look for ideas: rodcatalog.blogspot.com/search/label/bamboo-glass%20hybrid (he is quite an artisan).
Keep updating your project as it moves along. I just gotta try one with glass of graphite out on the tip end, and will do same.  RC