Penn 500 100% Drag with half turn of star - how to fix it????

Started by El Pescador, June 28, 2020, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

I am cobbling a Penn 500 with a purple TIB frame and once completed the drag goes from ZERO to 100% - cannot pull line from the reel in half of a turn of the star.  And I'm using the fine thread Gear Sleeve.

I loaded up the insides with Pro Challenger's SS Gear set: including SS Main Gear, Pinion Gear, Fine Thread Sleeve, Yoke - I'm good to go.

For the CF and SS washers, here is the order:

Delrin, Main Gear, CF, Keyed Washer, CF, Eared Washer, CF, Keyed, CF, Eared, CF, Keyed, Large Belleville Washer.  

Should be set, but WHY do I only have a half of a turn on the Star Wheel BEFORE the spool is locked down tight?????

DO I NEED a wavy washer between the Belleville washer and the spacing sleeve????????

HELP!!!!!   OR I'll be sending the REEL headache to someone on this site for assistance.

THANK YOU all,

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

First, Wayne --

Remove the spacer -- and make sure you have star travel up and down on the sleeve.

If that is OK -- with the HD Belville on the top of the stack -- the spacer will need to be shorter to accomplish more adjustment rotations of the star.  It can be replaced with another -- or lightly ground down just a few mills on a stationary belt sander.  A file will also work.  The rough edges also need to be dressed smooth.

This should do it.

The Belville gives the reel drag stack a more even drag -- with the increased drag numbers.  However, in a pinch, a wavy washer can be substituted for the Belville.

But to make it right -- just address the spacer by making it a little shorter.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Let me take a look at it.  I'll be home late Monday afternoon, the gear may not be seated all the way down.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Back on the REEL bench this morning,

Checked the star wheel on the sleeve, star travels all the way along the threads, NO issue here.   

Also, the gear is tight on the Delrin, which is tight against the ratchet.  See.

Put the 500 back together, and there is space, maybe 1+mm between the spacer when the star is spun all the way against the handle.  So we have a gap. 

NOW WHAT???  Same 100% drag with a half-turn of the star wheel.

This only adds to my point, that I'd RATHER be FISH'n ...   Than Fix'n!!!!    Exactly.

Dominick, I'll be over on Monday night, See you then,

Wayne

RowdyW

Wayne, try a 8-60 spring washer between the spacer & the star. You might have to shorten the spacer a little.        Rudy

El Pescador

Rowdy,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll call MO at Mystic tomorrow and have one shipped out.

I'll keep trying & working on the REEL project.

Wayne

RowdyW

Dominick said he will be home monday and he probably has some 8-60 wavy washers. Don't you have any Penn reels about that size that you may be able to borrow a spring washer from? It's a very popular size in the jigmaster & longbeach  sized reels.

mo65

I'd say that big bellville is the problem. In a system the size of the Jiggy, it's not compressing easily enough, just pushing in on the drags. Also...the 5-stack kit is famous for taking away some of the "travel" in the system. A smaller spring washer will probably work much better. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

Another way is to remove the top thin keyed washer & replace it with an original thicker keyed washer. Then leave out the belleville washer & put a 8-60 wavy washer on the top of the drag stack & if you have room for one more between the spacer & star put one there too. Like Mo said that large belleville washer is to stiff when you increase your drag surface.

El Pescador

Rowdy and MOmeister!!!!

You're thinking guys!!!!

I DO have 4 Surfmaster 100's to pull a 8-60 Tension Spring from and try it out.

This IS EXACTLY why I don't like working on reels, I'm not a mechanic, I'm a fisherman!!!!!

Let's see how it goes, and MO I need to send YOU a reel to work on!!!!!

Enjoy your Sunday.

Wayne

Gfish

I've had that same problem on Jiggys when using that belleville. Agree with Fred, Mo and Rudy; try one or two wavy washers insteada that belleville. Probably have 1 or 2-wavy's if you need 'em. Also, a delrin on top of the last keyed washer increases the smoothness and may add a bit to the adjustability. I know I have extras of those.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

I bet G is right...that belleville looks thick enough that you can get 2 #8-60s to sub. And Rudy is correct also...put one below the spacer and one on the outside above it. The reason for this is because the side plate is "terraced" to perfectly fit the various washers in the stack. Placing those 2 spring washers inside the plate will most times result in plate rubbing when backed completely off. Good luck Wayne...I think you're close to nipping this one in the bud. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

JoseCuervo

Deleted as I totally failed that one.

JoseCuervo

I must have been up late.  ::)

I meant this ring on the plate, not the spacer. Looking more closely at the pics, that wouldn't be it either with the quite of bit of space it looks like is there.

Maxed Out

Wayne, I suspect your issue is within your reach.

Can you carefully remove drag stack and post a picture and also a picture of the inside of main gear without the drags installed.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!