alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Penn 500 100% Drag with half turn of star - how to fix it????
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 04, 2020, 02:16:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Penn 500 100% Drag with half turn of star - how to fix it????  (Read 617 times)
Black Pearl and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
El Pescador
Firearms Group

San Mateo, California

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 04:31:15 AM »

Wayne, I still think reply #8 will solve your problem. That's the setup that I used in a couple of 112H's which uses the same drag setup. That should give you about one full turn to full lockdown.

Rowdy!!!!

YOU have the correct fix to my problem!!!!

I'm up early, back in the garage to put the 500 back together, with the ONLY change being pulling the HD Belleville washer and install, at Rowdy's recommendation, the 8-60 wavy tension washer.   That is the only change I made, and after assemblage, I have space between the reel handle and the top of the spacer, meaning, I have room to add another Delrin between the top of the CF/washer stack & before the spacing tube.   GFish is mailing me a Delrin for just this purpose.

Now, drum roll, please.......   Yes, I have 1 & 1/2 turn of the handle, almost 1 3/4's turn from just staring the drag pressure to full lockdown!!!!!!!

Rowdy, please see Alan for your award!!!!

TANK you all for your help, input, and assistance in my fix to my new cobbled Penn 500.

Isn't time to get out and go fishing?Huh??

July 13, Monday, Morro Bay with the crew.

THANK YOU again Rowdy for your SPOT ON fix recommendation.

IT's Monday, get to work.

Wayne

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 06:08:41 AM by El Pescador » Logged

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »

Wayne, I knew you could do it !

I asked you to take it apart to take pics, but in reality it was just a ruse meant to force you into trying Rudy's suggestion  Grin  Grin

A good night's sleep is all it took !

Ted

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Bryan Young
Ultimate Upgrades Drags
Administrator

The Reel Whisperer

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »

Wayne, did you figure out why the handle got harder to turn when you increased the drag?  That one still puzzles me.

Cheesy I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. Cheesy
El Pescador
Firearms Group

San Mateo, California

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 09:22:38 AM »

Wayne, I knew you could do it !
 but in reality, it was just a ruse meant to force you into trying Rudy's suggestion  Grin  Grin
 A good night's sleep is all it took !
 Ted

TED!!!!    YOU DOG!!!!

I just got played by one of the best!!!!

I enjoy DRY SHAVING my buddies, BUTT when it just happened to me, man, it stings a lot!!!!

Now that we have all enjoyed a big laugh with my good nature,

I'm still on the process first started by Rowdy - meaning I'll take the 500 apart AGAIN, and install the original thick metal washer for the top thin SS metal washer, compare and contrast this drag stack from what I have now,

then, take it apart AGAIN, install a 8-60 wavy washer between the spacer and the star, and again, compare and contrast how that drag works and life goes on.

Good news, the speed it takes me to put back a 500 - the time is getting less and less and my blood pressure stays in normal range!!!!

TED Grin  I OWE YOU ONE!!!!!   Watch your step Kiss

Wayne

mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »

Good news, the speed it takes me to put back a 500 - the time is getting less and less and my blood pressure stays in normal range!!!!

This is how ya get good at working on reels. Tackling a drag stack problem requires you to tear it down over and over. Usually after solving a drag stack problem...you are an expert at putting the dog spring back in place! Grin

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Pescador
Firearms Group

San Mateo, California

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »

MO,

Yes, the reassembling & dog springs, I'm on it.

BUTT the only tackling I'm wanting to do is when I see TED next!!!   and I MEAN NEXT.... Grin

Wayne

RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »

Wayne, the reason for replacing the top thin washer with a thicker one is for a stiffer top washer because the small diameter 8-60 puts most of the pressure on the inside diameter of the washer and the thin one would flex to much. The thicker washer spreads out the load more equally. That's my reasoning and it works.  Wink    What award Huh???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:15:22 AM by RowdyW » Logged
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »

Lol, who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 06:32:50 PM »

Okay Wayne O, we want to see pics, of all these fish, your going to catch, dont forget to leave some for us, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
vilters

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »

Thanks,

Wayne, Fred, Dominic, Mo, Nelz, Ted, Rowdy, and anyone else i may have forgot.
i was reading this thread, and was inspired to go back and give the penn VI 2500 ONE more shot.
i had disassembled and reassembled at least 5 times, and was ready to bag it up and send to Fred or Keith.
i'm no spinning reel guy, and this is the first one i've tried to fix. well, it is back together and working!
this series of reel is well sealed, but if it washes around in the surf, not impenetrable, as the gearcase was full of saltwater and sand.
does appear to be well made, and light in weight. looking forward to fishing it .

S

mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »

Way to go Vilters!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2020, 08:30:38 AM »

Good job, Steve --

Spinners are not that tough to figure out or work on -- they just generally have more small parts that need to work together.

When you get a little more confidence working on these -- you will also begin to understand the basic concepts of an open faced spinning reel.

There are (5) major categories for most spinning reels -- and here are the technical classifications:

-- Cheap toss-aways -- these are the LFS models (Land Fill Specials)

-- "Getting by" engineering and components -- but very attractive & shiny designs

-- Superior engineering and material selections, simple, and bullet-proof -- However, old school Butt-Ugly

-- Superior over-engineered, combo of old school and new school -- many seemingly extra parts that get finicky

-- Penn, DQ, Mitchell, ABU/Zebco Cardinals

And they all catch fish -- some one time, others more, some for multiple decades and generations.

There are plenty of good spinners out there -- many of the best are a few decades old -- but no one needs to break the bank to buy a solid, decent spinning reel.  

The main thing is to learn how to work on and keep your reels in tip-top condition.  Sounds like you have this worked out, Steve!

Best,

Fred

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:37:18 AM by foakes » Logged

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.

In life, be flexible, willing to listen to others, willing to change your mind based on your good judgement -- that is how progress is made, and new horizons are discovered.  When the winds of change blow -- A flexible limb moves and thrives -- a stiff and stubborn limb just snaps.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: