Penn 500 100% Drag with half turn of star - how to fix it????

Started by El Pescador, June 28, 2020, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Quote from: RowdyW on June 29, 2020, 05:39:37 AM
Wayne, I still think reply #8 will solve your problem. That's the setup that I used in a couple of 112H's which uses the same drag setup. That should give you about one full turn to full lockdown.

Rowdy!!!!

YOU have the correct fix to my problem!!!!

I'm up early, back in the garage to put the 500 back together, with the ONLY change being pulling the HD Belleville washer and install, at Rowdy's recommendation, the 8-60 wavy tension washer.   That is the only change I made, and after assemblage, I have space between the reel handle and the top of the spacer, meaning, I have room to add another Delrin between the top of the CF/washer stack & before the spacing tube.   GFish is mailing me a Delrin for just this purpose.

Now, drum roll, please.......   Yes, I have 1 & 1/2 turn of the handle, almost 1 3/4's turn from just staring the drag pressure to full lockdown!!!!!!!

Rowdy, please see Alan for your award!!!!

TANK you all for your help, input, and assistance in my fix to my new cobbled Penn 500.

Isn't time to get out and go fishing?????

July 13, Monday, Morro Bay with the crew.

THANK YOU again Rowdy for your SPOT ON fix recommendation.

IT's Monday, get to work.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Maxed Out

Wayne, I knew you could do it !

I asked you to take it apart to take pics, but in reality it was just a ruse meant to force you into trying Rudy's suggestion  ;D  ;D

A good night's sleep is all it took !

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bryan Young

Wayne, did you figure out why the handle got harder to turn when you increased the drag?  That one still puzzles me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

El Pescador

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 29, 2020, 04:53:30 PM
Wayne, I knew you could do it !
but in reality, it was just a ruse meant to force you into trying Rudy's suggestion  ;D  ;D
A good night's sleep is all it took !
Ted

TED!!!!    YOU DOG!!!!

I just got played by one of the best!!!!

I enjoy DRY SHAVING my buddies, BUTT when it just happened to me, man, it stings a lot!!!!

Now that we have all enjoyed a big laugh with my good nature,

I'm still on the process first started by Rowdy - meaning I'll take the 500 apart AGAIN, and install the original thick metal washer for the top thin SS metal washer, compare and contrast this drag stack from what I have now,

then, take it apart AGAIN, install a 8-60 wavy washer between the spacer and the star, and again, compare and contrast how that drag works and life goes on.

Good news, the speed it takes me to put back a 500 - the time is getting less and less and my blood pressure stays in normal range!!!!

TED ;D  I OWE YOU ONE!!!!!   Watch your step :-*

Wayne

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on June 29, 2020, 05:22:38 PM
Good news, the speed it takes me to put back a 500 - the time is getting less and less and my blood pressure stays in normal range!!!!

This is how ya get good at working on reels. Tackling a drag stack problem requires you to tear it down over and over. Usually after solving a drag stack problem...you are an expert at putting the dog spring back in place! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

El Pescador

MO,

Yes, the reassembling & dog springs, I'm on it.

BUTT the only tackling I'm wanting to do is when I see TED next!!!   and I MEAN NEXT.... ;D

Wayne

RowdyW

Wayne, the reason for replacing the top thin washer with a thicker one is for a stiffer top washer because the small diameter 8-60 puts most of the pressure on the inside diameter of the washer and the thin one would flex to much. The thicker washer spreads out the load more equally. That's my reasoning and it works.  ;)    What award ?????

Maxed Out

Donnyboat

Okay Wayne O, we want to see pics, of all these fish, your going to catch, dont forget to leave some for us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

vilters

Thanks,

Wayne, Fred, Dominic, Mo, Nelz, Ted, Rowdy, and anyone else i may have forgot.
i was reading this thread, and was inspired to go back and give the penn VI 2500 ONE more shot.
i had disassembled and reassembled at least 5 times, and was ready to bag it up and send to Fred or Keith.
i'm no spinning reel guy, and this is the first one i've tried to fix. well, it is back together and working!
this series of reel is well sealed, but if it washes around in the surf, not impenetrable, as the gearcase was full of saltwater and sand.
does appear to be well made, and light in weight. looking forward to fishing it .

S

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Good job, Steve --

Spinners are not that tough to figure out or work on -- they just generally have more small parts that need to work together.

When you get a little more confidence working on these -- you will also begin to understand the basic concepts of an open faced spinning reel.

There are (5) major categories for most spinning reels -- and here are the technical classifications:

-- Cheap toss-aways -- these are the LFS models (Land Fill Specials)

-- "Getting by" engineering and components -- but very attractive & shiny designs

-- Superior engineering and material selections, simple, and bullet-proof -- However, old school Butt-Ugly

-- Superior over-engineered, combo of old school and new school -- many seemingly extra parts that get finicky

-- Penn, DQ, Mitchell, ABU/Zebco Cardinals

And they all catch fish -- some one time, others more, some for multiple decades and generations.

There are plenty of good spinners out there -- many of the best are a few decades old -- but no one needs to break the bank to buy a solid, decent spinning reel.  

The main thing is to learn how to work on and keep your reels in tip-top condition.  Sounds like you have this worked out, Steve!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Well, the saga continues,

AT.com Member of good standing - Gfish - sent me 2 Delrin washers to keep the fix going on my Tib'd 500.

Here is what I did.   I removed the last keyed SS washer, the one that comes with Bryan's 5+1 washer stack, and replaced it with the original issue thicker metal keyed washer,

then the Delrin washer from Gfish,

then the Rowdy-recommended 8-60 wavey washer, spacing sleeve, star, handle.

NOW what I have is a full ONE and 1/2 turn of the handle with SMOOTHNESS I've never seen with this reel.  With the Delrin washer, the smoothness is REELY felt at the last 1/4 turn before MAXED OUT lockdown - no more line released.   

I think we're done here boyz.

I'm starting to prep for the Morro Bay trip for July 13, return on Tuesday, leave on Wednesday for my yearly fishing / camping / 4X4 5-day trip with Buddy Boy Jerry.  Photos when I return.

TANKS ALL for the help and assistance.  STILL NOT going in the reel repair business, I'll leave that to those that enjoy it far more than I do.

Keep in mind, and I'll say it to the bitter end....    I'd RATHER be FISH'n ...    than Fix'n!!!   and you can quote me on that.

Wayne

Maxed Out

Don't sell yourself short Wayne. You took that reel apart so many times, it's no surprise you threw up the white flag. The end result is you may not be a reel mechanic, but you will surely enjoy fishing with THIS REEL, the one built with blood, sweat, and shear determination !!..... I gave up and sent mine to Sal, and of course he figured it out in a heartbeat. hashtag-not proud  :(

lookout Morro Bay, here comes El Pescador !!

Gfish

Good point.
Taking the same reel apart 5+ times to figure out an issue works for me oftentimes, but can make it a drag(pun intended). My obsession with getting it right overcomes the irritation and desire to give-up. I call it my "brute force and ignorance" way to succeed.

Taking time away from fun and(or) important stuff to solve a reel problem has it's limits, though. I still have reels where I've solved problems, but in the future will be going back in to see if I can perfect something I'm not statisfied with.

Good thing the Jiggys are easier to work on with the quick-take-apart feature and the attached-to-the-bridge dog(s).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!