Penn 500 100% Drag with half turn of star - how to fix it????

Started by El Pescador, June 28, 2020, 12:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I don't mind taking a reel apart several times to get it right, it's enjoyable except for the grease on my skin (hate working with gloves). It does concern me though, that eventually the threads on a screw-hole will eventually get stripped.

Alto Mare

Quote from: El Pescador on July 08, 2020, 02:34:23 PM
Well, the saga continues,

AT.com Member of good standing - Gfish - sent me 2 Delrin washers to keep the fix going on my Tib'd 500.

Here is what I did.   I removed the last keyed SS washer, the one that comes with Bryan's 5+1 washer stack, and replaced it with the original issue thicker metal keyed washer,

then the Delrin washer from Gfish,

then the Rowdy-recommended 8-60 wavey washer, spacing sleeve, star, handle.

NOW what I have is a full ONE and 1/2 turn of the handle with SMOOTHNESS I've never seen with this reel.  With the Delrin washer, the smoothness is REELY felt at the last 1/4 turn before MAXED OUT lockdown - no more line released.   

I think we're done here boyz.

I'm starting to prep for the Morro Bay trip for July 13, return on Tuesday, leave on Wednesday for my yearly fishing / camping / 4X4 5-day trip with Buddy Boy Jerry.  Photos when I return.

TANKS ALL for the help and assistance.  STILL NOT going in the reel repair business, I'll leave that to those that enjoy it far more than I do.

Keep in mind, and I'll say it to the bitter end....    I'd RATHER be FISH'n ...    than Fix'n!!!   and you can quote me on that.

Wayne
Hello Wayne, I think you did really good and should be proud.
I remember a few years back you didn't know how to remove the handle, you came a long way.

You would never be in a jam, you already know the deal .
Good job buddy👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Ay Wayne, you will get great personal satisfaction, when you catch a good fish with it, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat