Talica 8 drag problem

Started by retiredandfishing, June 17, 2020, 12:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Sure hope someone has an answer for this one.  Took a Talica 8 single speed apart.  Not that complicated, but when I put it back together the drag will not come on.  I can turn the handle after setting the crag, but it feels like it is not engaging when I put drag on and spool will not spin, yet the handle will turn.  When I back the drag all the way off the spool will spin some but hardly any drag,  when I turn the handle, then will quit turning when I apply drag.  At any time I have the drag on I can spin the spool with my hand. 

I took pictures going in as this was my first time on this reel.  So I believe I have it put back together correctly, but apparently there is something I'm not doing right.  Worked on this reel about 3 hours so far. 

Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Bryan Young

As I recall, the Talica has a pull drag system. Which means that the spool is pulled towards the drive side of the reel when the the lever is pushed forward. Therefore, then pushing the drag lever forward, does the spool move towards the left?

Can you tighten the preset drag knob, while in free spool, to a point where the spool will not freespool?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 17, 2020, 12:47:06 AM
As I recall, the Talica has a pull drag system. Which means that the spool is pulled towards the drive side of the reel when the the lever is pushed forward. Therefore, then pushing the drag lever forward, does the spool move towards the left?

Can you tighten the preset drag knob, while in free spool, to a point where the spool will not freespool?

The pre set drag knob is ramped to go up the ramp when it is pushed forward, that could indicate it is pulling as knob would be forced outward.  But no the spool will still free spool when the preset is engaged.  I can post some pictures tomorrow.   I'll also do
so some more testing and post the results..  Thanks.