No Letter 322

Started by SD853, June 28, 2020, 06:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD853

Hi everyone, first post.
Does anyone  have a pinion gear or 5 to 1 set they would sell? I tried the 505/506 pinion and won't work on this reel. My spool is skipping with a quick turn on the handle. I've had it apart several times and the only thing i can see is the pinion on the spool end is missing some material inside. I tried a S332 side plate assembly and everything was good. I'm pretty sure the pinion is just wore out over time. Thanks

Swami805

You should replace both, the gears "mate" over time so a new pinion with the old main gear will be rough. Try the 505 gear and pinion together and see how that works if you haven't already.
Gear sets come up on ebay from time to time, might be your best bet. But them together though.
Oh ,welcome!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SD853

Thanks Swami,
I tried the 505/506 but it doesn't fit the lug on the spool. Also been checking eBay waiting for one to come up. Do all the different letter series take the same gear sets weather 5/1 or 3.6 /1 ?

Swami805

Pretty much, I think your ok with the 200,300,400 series. Sometimes you can get a blackie reel pretty cheap on ebay and sell the parts on there to recoup some $.
Right now Newell ebay prices have really gone up, some are crazy espescally the wide ones. 344's,454's,550's are getting crazy money compared to a few months ago.
Be patient, a set will pop up. Check tonight,there's a guy who puts his stuff on Sunday nights
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Quote from: SD853 on June 28, 2020, 06:05:59 PM
Hi everyone, first post.
Does anyone  have a pinion gear or 5 to 1 set they would sell? I tried the 505/506 pinion and won't work on this reel. My spool is skipping with a quick turn on the handle. I've had it apart several times and the only thing i can see is the pinion on the spool end is missing some material inside. I tried a S332 side plate assembly and everything was good. I'm pretty sure the pinion is just wore out over time. Thanks

Pull the ring off your old pinion gear and the PENN 505/506 pinion gear and swap the rings. You would need to braze the ring on the PENN pinion gear and it will work. I've done this to dozens of Newell's.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SD853

Thanks Bryan,
I will give it a try.