Penn 309 upgraded drag washer question

Started by Tate, June 30, 2020, 06:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tate

Guys

First of all hello to you.  I've been out of the game and away from this board for several years now and getting back into it.  For starters I am servicing  an old 309 Of mine that I upgraded the drag washers to the cf washers probably 6 years ago.  My ID still worked :) It seems I might have extra washers - both cf and regular in my setup now.  Looking at this picture from right to left is the sequence I had them installed.   Notice the cf under the main gear?  For starters is that okay.  I sort of recall that it was considered an improvement.  I posted a picture.   I hope it's not cutoff.  Basically the current sequence is cf, main gear, cf, slotted washer, cf, toothed washer, cf, slotted washer,Slotted  brass washer, slotted brass washer, ring. 

Is this right? 

Thanks
Tate

Bryan Young

The washer set up to the brass washers seem correct. Not sure why you needed the extra two brass washers. Maybe the tube is too short and you needed the brass washers to fill in the gap?

One you got the main gear and all the washers on the bridge plate, add the wavy washer and the tube then screw on the Star loosely. Take a photo and please post it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tate

Thanks for the help!  Will post a pic later tonight. 

Tate

Hello Bryan

Here are my pics.  The first with the 2 brass washers in place  and I took a second without  the brass washer in place to compare.    I believe I bought this reel on eBay years ago to refurbish it.   I know I did the cf washer upgrade on this reel at the time.  Maybe the previous owner put the other washers in there.  I just want to ensure this reel is functional and optimized as I will probably sell  it along with several others I have and I've done this right as it's been about 6 years and I'm a little rusty.   Working on a Penn 9/0 next. 

Thanks!
Tate

Tate

Oops the same picture twice.  Here is the other one. Both have the star on about 1 .5  threads. 

Swami805

I think you're better off without the brass washers, they aren't doing anything except increasing the height of the stack. If there's a spacing issue you can leave 1 or 2 to keep it tall but you don't need them
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tate

Thanks for the feedback!  After I set it up, looked at schematics, and took the pictures I came to the same conclusion.    I will put it together, test it and see if I might want one brass washer or not.

Cheers

Tate

Bryan Young

If you can screw the star down to the point where then handle can be mounted as intended, you will likely see that you don't been the brass washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D