Okuma Titus TG 30 II

Started by retiredandfishing, June 30, 2020, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Just got this two speed Okuma Titus TG 30 II in the shop today.  Took a dunk in the ocean when the owner rolled his boat on the Nehalam river bar.  Full of sand and things.  I have never worked on a 2 speed before and have shied away from them but I know the owner and have consented to look into it for him.  That said, I'm wondering if anyone who has experience on these reels would be able to give me some helpful hints on the reel regarding servicing, repairs and anything I should be especially careful of. 

I have not opened the reel up yet so not sure what i'll find.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Trying to keep myself out of trouble by learning some before I go into it.  Have learned a couple of painful lessons going into reels I have never worked on before.  LOL

Thanks, Steve

Hardy Boy

They are not bad to work on. Don't let the 2 speed scare you. Use this thread: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=43.0

Pay attention to the dog springs is the only tip I have. The rest is straight forward.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

retiredandfishing

Thank you.  That tutorial is great.  I am sure I will have to go into the right side plate.  The reel leaks sand out of it when you shake it.  Pretty sure I'll run into some corrosion.  I'll keep you posted on how I do. Thanks for the tip on the dog setup.  I'll take lots of pictures going in. 

Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Hardy Boy on June 30, 2020, 08:53:58 PM
They are not bad to work on. Don't let the 2 speed scare you. Use this thread: https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=43.0

Pay attention to the dog springs is the only tip I have. The rest is straight forward.

Cheers:

Todd

Got the reel mostly apart. Went into the right side, really not that bad.  Studied the dog layout and took pictures going in.  Gears seem OK but pinion bearing is shot from salt water.  So far so good. 

retiredandfishing

Got the reel mostly apart but ran into a problem.  The drags are in the spool and there are 3 small nobs on the front of the spool. I am assuming they are for a tool that fits over them to allow the rotation of the face so you can unscrew it and gain access to the drags.  I do not have that tool and so don't think I can go any further unless  someone has an idea of what to use to rotate this plate. 

Thanks, Steve

Maybe We Can Fix It

Were you able to get the drag plate off?

Quote from: retiredandfishing on July 14, 2020, 03:08:57 AM
Got the reel mostly apart but ran into a problem.  The drags are in the spool and there are 3 small nobs on the front of the spool. I am assuming they are for a tool that fits over them to allow the rotation of the face so you can unscrew it and gain access to the drags.  I do not have that tool and so don't think I can go any further unless  someone has an idea of what to use to rotate this plate. 

Thanks, Steve
"Maybe We Can Fix It" Reel Repair
Scott Rodriguez
Owner/Operator
Factory Trained Technician

maybewecanfixit@gmail.com

Instagram: @maybewecanfixit_reelrepair

Website Coming Soon!!