Penn International VISX - Thrust Bearing?

Started by Observer, July 01, 2020, 01:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Observer

Recently, I started researching the smaller versions of this class of reel, and according to the schematics found via simple Google search, they do not seem to employ a thrust bearing in the design.  Am I reading it correctly?   

Penn

From the ENG.

No thrust bearing in the VI, the same can be accomplished with the ball bearing instead, if it is sized large enough to take the force applied for a given drag.  The ball bearings are sized larger in the inner drive plate and right side plate for this purpose as these are the two that transmit the force from their inner races to the outer races when drag is applied.  For comparison, the ball bearing in the Okuma MAK 30 right side plate is 22mm (OD) x 10mm (ID) x 6mm (h) while the INT30VI reel has a 28.5 mm (OD) x 12.7mm (ID) x 7mm (h).  In other words, the susceptibility of the reel to binding under load (handle hard to turn) is only as good as the smaller of the two bearings that are cross loaded, regardless of if one is a thrust bearing or not.

tony

Gobi King

Also, Angular Contact bearing can be used instead of thrust bearings for heavy axial and radial loads.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

boon

Quote from: Gobi King on July 07, 2020, 02:35:12 PM

Also, Angular Contact bearing can be used instead of thrust bearings for heavy axial and radial loads.

Downside is often crazy cost and difficulty of sourcing replacements, especially after manufacturer support ceases. When I got a quote for some SKF miniature ACBs the guy on the end of the phone literally said "ooh I hope you're sitting down"...
Regular old thrust bearings are a dime a dozen, although finding them in "marine grade" materials can be a little tricky.