PENN 110 1/0 build

Started by wideopenoutdoors, July 01, 2020, 10:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

Recently, a friend of mine bought a box of reels and inside was a PENN 110 1/0 Senator... we worked out a deal and now I'm going to do some work on it before I use it. This reel will be seeing a mix of uses, from live bait inshore over flats to offshore for mangrove and yellow tail snapper. Currently the reel is in usable shape, however, who leaves anything stock.... I am going to replace all the chrome trim, install a stainless sleeve a single stainless anti reverse dog, and the aluminum spool from Pro-Challenger. My questions are:

I'm thinking about getting the Tiburon frame for it, is it needed or is it show money?

I plan on fishing 20-30# braid and then 30lb mono or fluorocarbon with this, willa drag upgrade be required or can I just do a factory replacement?

I know guys here play with gear ratios, is there any ratio you recommend, if so which gears should I order?

I have read here about greasing the bearings with TSI 301?

To improve casting ability, should I get different bearings? I already plan on doing the Q-Tip and toothpaste trick discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Best place to get  power handle?

And lastly, is it possible to polish or otherwise restore the side plates beyond just spraying penn rod and reel cleaner on them?
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

wideopenoutdoors

Some pictures of the reel. I have never seen a side plate like this before....

RowdyW

You should read more about the reel in the index about the particular reel you are interested in modifying. All the information and answers to your questions are there. Just try searching instead of asking. All your questions have been answered more than 100 times. By the way the reel doesn't have bearings, it has bushings.

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: RowdyW on July 01, 2020, 11:05:58 PM
You should read more about the reel in the index about the particular reel you are interested in modifying. All the information and answers to your questions are there. Just try searching instead of asking. All your questions have been answered more than 100 times. By the way the reel doesn't have bearings, it has bushings.

Dang, I wasn't expecting any kinda heat on this forum. Is the stickied threads the index you are referring too? Is it possible to change the bushing to a bearing?

Swami805

The frames are nice but you don't really need one, you can also replace the chrome base and bars with newell base and bars for a 501 penn/332 newell. You're pretty much stuck with bushings but they work just fine, a little tsi would be helpful.
As long as you're getting the spool get the handle blade/gear sleeve drag star bundle from pro challenger too. He might have stainless bars you could use for a penn 501. His EVA knobs are good if you like that style.
Get the drag upgrade, the kit with more washers is worth it for the few $ more it cost. Cals drag grease is important, get some if you don't have any. I'd get that before I'd spend $ on TSI.
For fishing 30lb you'll be just fine
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jenx

Tiburon frames and accurate plates are cool looking, but they aren't needed. keep in mind many of these reels were catching fish decades before fancy plates and frames became available.

With a lot of these older reels I would say that a drag upgrade would be one of the best investments you could make. It's definitely the best bang for your buck.

Lastly, RowdyW's response might have been a bit blunt, but there is some truth to his response. Probably the fastest and easiest way to find an answer to any vintage Penn question would be to type the question in Google search, followed by "Alan Tani". Probably 80-90% of the time it will link you to a thread on these forums with the answer to your questions.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Rancanfish

Your reel looks like an oldie and may have the thinner gear sleeve shaft.  It becomes a problem when you go to add the SS gear sleeve.

But no worries the needed bridges are available.

The side plate is cool.

I do think you should check out the 1/0 threads.  You will see a lot of builds. 

With TS-321 on clean bushings you will have plenty of spin.  No need for bearings, even if it was possible.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

nelz

Sounds like you want a whole different reel buddy! I would just clean it up real good, replace the drag, and fish it like that. Maybe an aluminum spool if you're gonna cast it. The old school steel 3:1 gears are great for snapper.

Brewcrafter

That reel looks like it has plenty of good stories to tell and hopefully you are going to add some more, you have a real nice "user" there.  Lots of good advice up above.  As far as those sideplates, its kinda like my gray hair - gives the reel character!  BUT as you search the site there are plenty of suggestions on various ways and chemicals you can use to restore some of the shine to those plates.  But I will say - use caution!  You don't want to use anything that while it may make the plates look shiny and new short term, that may cause the bakelite to swell long term.   You have a nice reel there thanks for sharing, show us some photos of the fish you catch with it, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. - john

wideopenoutdoors

Thanks guys, so it look like just a sleeve (possible a bridge too?), drag and spool?

foakes

For a user reel -- a power handle as you mentioned earlier would also be on the grocery list.

Thanks for sharing your project and your find!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

But why not just get a jigmaster 501 instead. It's wrapped around a 1/0 spool,  but has better drags and many more upgrade options.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Just my two bobs worth, Sir Edward- Maxed out, comment is on the money, the 1/0 is not made anymore, & there is not a lot of them around so there really becoming a vintage item, do plenty of reading, through the 1/0 & 2/0 posts, take your time, don`t jump to fast, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

sabaman1

Quote from: wideopenoutdoors on July 01, 2020, 10:24:08 PM
Some pictures of the reel. I have never seen a side plate like this before....

The Penn 110 senator looks to me to be the same as a narrow version of the Penn 259 long beach live bait caster!   
JIM

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: Donnyboat on July 03, 2020, 12:50:20 AM
Just my two bobs worth, Sir Edward- Maxed out, comment is on the money, the 1/0 is not made anymore, & there is not a lot of them around so there really becoming a vintage item, do plenty of reading, through the 1/0 & 2/0 posts, take your time, don`t jump to fast, good luck, cheers Don.

If its becoming rarer and rare, maybe i should put it up on the shelf with the MTL's and do the frankenstein squidder i sound in the bushes once....