Reel for PSW 909HXJ ?

Started by CooldadE, July 04, 2020, 09:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Hey y'all,  I'm new to the jigging world.  I've got this rod and want to match it with a reel. Rod is Rated 30 to 80... I've got an Avet HXJ Raptor, 114H XN, 113H XN, hopped up Penn YTS,  hopped up 99 size Jigmaster, hopped up 112h and a Lexa 400... What is the consensus ? I would rather not buy a dedicated reel for this rod. Another question... what do you think the perfect reel would be if I did buy one ?
PS : I've got big hands so the size of the size of the HXJ is not an issue...

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

boon

Ideal world, Makaira 15T SEa. If you were going to fish it closer to the 80# end of the rating, that is.

From what you've got, probably the 113H, but just my 2c there.

Bryan Young

Personally, Avet HXJ Raptor for a lever drag reel for 40# to 60# top shot with 80# braid backing.  You could also toss 80# top in you need to without worrying as well.

For a star drag reel,

Newell 533-4.6 or 533-5.5 that has been narrowed with Jerry Downey's narrowing kit to a 522 for 50#.

ProGear 545 or Newell 332 for 40#.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

For maximum distance I would look for a star drag reel, something about the 4 to 4.5 to 1 gear ratio. The narrowed 4/0's that you have should work just fine.

sabaman1

If your going to use it to throw iron I would stick with a good star drag. If your 99 jigmaster is tricked out with all the goodies like stainless sleeve, stainless dogs, carbon fiber drags and tib frame. I would use that reel with 40 lb mono to toss the jigs. That particular rod is the 9' version of a Phenix jigstick.
JIM

MarkT

I'm mostly a Phenix and UC guy. My 909xhj gets a Lexa HD 400hs-p or a TranX 500 hg for throwing surface iron, poppers and wahoo bombs. I wouldn't use an hxj or those other reels... I'd use them on shorter rods for yo-yo jigs, bait, etc but not on the long rod. My other TranX 500 goes on the 809xhj for the same purposes as the 909xhj.  On the SoA 5 days I've used the Lexa 400 on the 909xhj for throwing surface iron and slayed the YT down at San Martin.  Of the reels you have I'd try out the tricked out 99 first.  Go and cast it in your yard or a park and see how it does and feels to you.  I used the 909xhj with a TranX 500 at Cedros last year throwing surface iron and will go with in again this year.  I've caught a lot of YT, YFT and Wahoo on that combo over the past 5 years.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CooldadE

Thanks for all the feedback ... very helpful.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...