new Stella "C" Roller Clutch assembly

Started by Wolli, July 05, 2020, 12:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolli

A few weeks ago got a brandnew C 5000XG for control maintenance.
Removed the three screws of the Roller Clutch and lifted the part up in the usual way.....
Never do that!!!! At the same moment all inner parts, the cover plate, cylinders and springs fall out.... The cover plate is loose and not fixed to the clutch!
After one hour i gave up to reassemble the parts and I ordered two new ones. One as reserve.
The plates of the new Roller Clutches were also loose. So no manufacturing fault as i learned later.
The secret to putting the Roller Clutch back on, the spool shaft must point downwards!!! Then hold the part well and turn the reel upright and secure with the three screws.
How Shimano technicians came up with such an idea remains their secret....

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Gfish

Interesting. Haven't seen one like that from Shimano. I'm used to the other ubiquitous type on Shimano's. Two diffrent colored screw types. I think 3 silver ones held the unit down and 2 black ones held the clutch internal parts together. Commin off a Stella, should be pretty high quality?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

is the center bushing finally contained within the assembly,
or is it still an unnamed, unnumbered, annoying separate part
that likes to run away & befuddle beginners as to its orientation

Wolli

The center bushing (IAR Sleeve) is not included. Has its own part number.
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

handi2

The newer Sustain and some Stradic reels use the same clutch. Why they use these type I don't get it. The one piece clutch on all of their other models is so much better.

The older model Stella's have the open style clutch but they are much easier to work with.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

retiredandfishing

Quote from: Wolli on July 05, 2020, 12:34:43 AM
A few weeks ago got a brandnew C 5000XG for control maintenance.
Removed the three screws of the Roller Clutch and lifted the part up in the usual way.....
Never do that!!!! At the same moment all inner parts, the cover plate, cylinders and springs fall out.... The cover plate is loose and not fixed to the clutch!
After one hour i gave up to reassemble the parts and I ordered two new ones. One as reserve.
The plates of the new Roller Clutches were also loose. So no manufacturing fault as i learned later.
The secret to putting the Roller Clutch back on, the spool shaft must point downwards!!! Then hold the part well and turn the reel upright and secure with the three screws.
How Shimano technicians came up with such an idea remains their secret....

Yes I made the same mistake (once) of doing just this. Now I'm waiting for a new assembly I had to order after I could not get the assembly to work when trying to put it back together after never having seen how it went together in the first place.   So now I am a little nervous about putting the new assembly back on the reel.  I understand about facing the spool shaft down when you mount the assembly, what I'm troubled by is the need to align the assembly with two tits that stick up and mate into two holes in the assembly and at the same time assuring the shaft bushing is aligned with spool shaft so that you don't push out the shaft bushing possibly disturbing the bearings in the assembly. Since the shaft bushing is a separate part I'm assuming that it does not come with the assembly (have not received the assembly yet) and am wondering how the company ships this assembly without it coming apart.  Since you have had this wonderful experience was hoping you could give some detailed advice as to how the assembly comes and how to assure proper alignment while sliding the assembly on. That loose plate sure makes it a problem.

Any help you can be would be greatly appreciated.   Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: philaroman on July 05, 2020, 12:38:33 PM
is the center bushing finally contained within the assembly,
or is it still an unnamed, unnumbered, annoying separate part
that likes to run away & befuddle beginners as to its orientation

These do have a separate part number for the shaft bushing (Shimano calls it "roller clutch inner") but you bring up a good question.  I was so annoyed with Shimano over designing such an assembly I neglected to take a picture of the orientation of the shaft bushing.  From the looks of it, it is a standard design and goes in with the wider part facing up.  I really want to get this right as not doing so may cause the assembly to come apart again.

Steve

retiredandfishing

Well I guess I just gave up to soon.  Went back to the shop and played with that assembly for about two hours and got it working.  Had to figure out which side of the spring arm each bearing went on.  Only trouble was it was working backwards.  So I turned over the the ring that fits over the top of the bearings and tried it that way and it worked.

So key to reassembling this engineering marvel is to first figure out how that metal backing plate fits back on.  Mark that, then figure out which way to align the case so that the two tits on the back of it fit into their respective holes on the reel, mark that.  Then use a tooth pick to insert the springs back into their pockets. Then use a small screw driver or rod of some kind to pull back each spring and insert the bearing into and beside it.  After that, insert the metal ring on top of the bearings letting it snug down into it's pockets.  The correct side to face up has a small dimple in it.  Then putting your fingers on the metal ring (which is now on top of the bearings, keeping them in place,) hold firmly and flip the assembly over.  Insert the metal backing plate using the marks you made prior to assembly, push down and it will click slightly into place and will hold some tension, then flip the assembly back over and hold it in one hand ready to insert it.  Then turn the reel upside down in the other hand, with the spool shaft straight down.  Slide the assembly up and now you can slightly tilt it upwards a bit and align the assembly with the reel and put the two small tits into their respective holes in the reel, using the marks you put on prior to assembly, so that you don't have to search much to make the assembly snap into place.  Put the mounting screws back in and you are done with the assembly mount.  I put the shaft bushing back in after I had one screw holding the assembly to the reel. I spent most my time reinserting the springs and putting the bearings back in. Very tedious and frustrating.  Had much trial and error.  But, glad that it now works again.