See updated post July 20.

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, July 05, 2020, 01:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I am selling a collection of 20 original Made in the USA Pro Gear Reels. 10 of them are either new in the box, or appear to be unused. 10 of them are used. Here is a list of those 10 used reels. I will post those 10 NOS reels separately. If you see anything that you like and are OK with the price, please send me a PM and I will take some good close up photos for your review. We ship worldwide. Venmo, Zelle or checks are preferred, but if none of those work for you, we accept PayPal.

Thank you,

Randy

Silver 251. 7.5 on a 10 scale. Engraved clicker. No rod clamp. $125

Gold 545. 9.5 on a 10 scale original rod clamp kit. No clicker. $170

SOLD: Gold 255. 9.5 on a 10 scale. 2/3 full of Spectra. No rod clamp. Engraved graphics. $175.

Silver 251 with clicker. Engraved graphics. 9+ on a 10 scale. Two-thirds full of Spectra. Original rod clamp kit. $165.

Black 251 with gunmetal right side plate. 8 on a 10 scale. Half full of Spectra. No rod clamp you. $135.

Gunmetal 541 with clicker. 8.5 on a 10 scale. Full of Spectra. Original rod clamp kit. Engraved graphics. $150.

Silver 440 with clicker. 9 plus on a 10 scale. Full of Spectra. $165

bill19803

randy

i  dont  know  much  about  pro  gear  models   but  i  could  be  interested  in one  with  largest  line  capacity   model  number?
can  you  give  me  5  second disseration  why  they  are  so  well  regarded?

bill miller
bill19803@aol.com

Maxed Out

Bill, the old pro gear reels most notable component is the one piece frame. Notice the headplate is countersunk into the frame with 2 dog ears and only needs 2 screws to hold the headplate on. Never a worry about twisting frame. Also most have custom gears made by pro gear and they are the smoothest gears I've ever had. Some models are "magnums", like the 545 pictured is a jigmaster 501 with 113h internals and 4/1 gears.

The largest reel Randy listed here is the 440, which same exact size as a 113H
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

Also want to mention that dd bridge drops right into several models. Several models also use all Penn internals.

Bryan Young is our resident Pro Gear guru and can answer any questions. I'm just a newbie at pro gear reels, but am a huge fan and own 8 myself(thanks to Randy)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

TongassFisher

What parts does the 251 have? Jigmaster size?

Thanks

Trevor

Swami805

yes squidder size with jigmaster sized gears
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the help Sheridan. 

Trevor, the 251 is just like the 5:1 Squidder Magnum that so many people have been clamoring for, but better.  As Sheridan said, the 251 has the 5:1 Jigmaster size gears and drags, which I would guess have 50% more drag surface than the Squidder, and the one-piece frame/left side plate and one-piece spool, which are both machined from a solid block of aluminum.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Maxed Out on July 05, 2020, 04:59:22 AM
Also want to mention that dd bridge drops right into several models. Several models also use all Penn internals.

Bryan Young is our resident Pro Gear guru and can answer any questions. I'm just a newbie at pro gear reels, but am a huge fan and own 8 myself(thanks to Randy)

Ted, I'm honored, but no where near your super natural reel knowledge.

I remember back in the day, when I was getting back into fishing after taking a break for 15 years, I was introduced to ProGear reels. I was completely impressed with the workmanship and tight tolerances. I built my collection one reel at a time. I've sold most of it not realizing i did. It happened by friends here asking me if I would mind selling one of my reels. Since I had built a small collection of 255s, 251s, 545s, 541s,...  well, before you know it, my collection is small again.

Reels modeled off of PENN Reel sizes and may use similar parts are

255 is a magnum squidder 146
251 is a magnum squidder 145
545 is a magnum jigmaster 505
541 is a magnum jigmaster 506
454 or Yellow Tail Special is like a narrow 113H
440 is Like a 113H
441 is like a 113HLW

PacĂ­fica Series

Classic Series
CS500 and CS501
CS550 and CS551
CS600
CS625
CS650

Albacore Series
AS280
AS282
AS540
AS542

461 or Wahoo Special

Oceanus Series - Lever Drag Reels

Wait,...what am I typing this. There are information over the internet about these reels.

https://www.bunnyclark.com/progear.htm

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/website-for-pro-gear-reel-specs.179576/

Any specific questions, please send me a PM or post it on the ProGear sub-forum.

These reels were ahead of their time. I'm saddened that their demise was to compete with lever drag greats like Avet and Accurate. No one made a better star drag reel at that time and I truly  believe if they stuck to only making star drag reels, they would still be around today.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

I remember when they 1st came out I bought a bunch to replace my newelled penns. I sold them all but one, wish I still had them, caught a lot of fish on those, they never die!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Rancanfish

Bryan, just sipping my morning coffee and noticed a mistake in your list.

541 & 545 are reversed as to their actual Penn equivalent. 

Should be 545 is = to a magnum 506, 541 is = to a magnum 505.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.