114H 6/0 Narrow .......

Started by wideopenoutdoors, July 05, 2020, 02:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wideopenoutdoors

I started with a random 6/0 off the shelf outside... I do not know the history of this one but I know it was abused in the past.

I liked the green handle. First was to remove the handle, Alans wrench is sweet. then i flipped it over and removed the left side plate. The whole inside was covered in old nasty grease that was near solid. The trim ring came off in two peices. I pulled the spool out and then removed the posts. next off came the bridge screws and the bridge. I was glad to see this one did in fact have the stainless pinion and brass main gear combo. Again it was covered in old dry grease. Does anyone know that the thick spacer under the belleville is for? Will i need it for the 7+1 stack? The two fiber drag washers were hard with grease and solid...

I ended up soaking everything to be reused in gasoline to get the stubborn grease off. Everything is dried and ready for assembly tomorrow....
"your not on a fishing show, reel it in!"

wideopenoutdoors

For assembly tomorrow, do i just wipe a small skim coat of cals on the drag washers and wipe off the excess? Penn reel grease or penn reel lube in the bearings? ILl be using the bearings supplied with the cortez side plates rather than reuse the old bearings.

RowdyW

I think you should take another look in the main gear for another washer. They have three in there. By the way those original washers are asbestos not fiber.The 7+1 kit might need a thick top keyed washer instead of the last thin one. Also install a cupped  belville washer on top of the stack. You will probably need a wavy washer between the spacer and the star. Under the main gear I use a delrin washer instead of the cf washer in the 7+1 kit.               Rudy

Gfish

That drag star looks like someone grounded the round ends flat. Probably not a thing, though.
I use a stiff bursh to "scrub" the drag grease into the carbon fiber washers sos not to waste any. If you're short any items let me know as I have some 114H parts that'er leftovers.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

The bearings should get a light oil, grease or penn lube won't hurt them but will slow down free spool. TSI321 seems to be the spool bearing lube of choice if you're looking for the best free spool time.
I'm with Rudy, They're should be a couple more washers that come out of the main gear, check that the last keyed and asbestos washer aren't still in there, they can kind of "hide"
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

It doesn't hurt to measure the height of the original drag stack and aim for that with the replacements.  I rub the Cal's in with my fingers then wipe them off.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

wideopenoutdoors

Will take everything under advisement.  I found the third washer when I cleaned all of the parts, it appeared to be in better shape,  (did the asbestos washers also have a woven cross hatch pattern on them?),  but I cast it aside with the rest of the spares.

When I assemble everything tomorrow I'll check the height and clearance with the new sideplates. Interesting note,there were two wave washers between the star and the handle. I think these reel had alot of different hands on it before collecting dust on the porch... I think the green handle is an oldie?

wideopenoutdoors

It's done.... I will post pics and a write up tomorrow. It's been a long day working on trailers and it's late here...

wideopenoutdoors

My phone updated and I lost all the pics of me building it....

I took it out today and it didn't work 😔 we benched tested it and everything worked great. Get out to fish and suddenly there's zero drag.... Just lifting the rod tip (even with the drag star all the way down) caused line to spool off. I messed with it and messed with it. Nothing really improved. I took it off the pole and we messed with it some more and it gained some drag but still really low. I didn't want to take it apart on the boat. I plan on taking it apart tomorrow morning. Very disappointed as I went to great lengths to ensure everything was correct.

Brewcrafter

That's a big disappointment, but I am confident with the folks here that it is most likely something minor and easily fixed since you had it working well before you left the dock.- john

RowdyW

It sounds like the upper eared washer has the ears on top of the main gear edge. It looks like your thick wavy washer is on upside down. It looks like to much space left above the star. You may have backed the star off to far allowing the drag stack to lift up the last eared washer & then turned the handle. You can try to put light pressure with the star against the spacer & crank the handle. Sometimes a couple of times & sometimes 50 times. That usually nudges the eared washer around to the next slot. When the star goes slack it probably dropped in.

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: RowdyW on July 18, 2020, 01:50:43 AM
It sounds like the upper eared washer has the ears on top of the main gear edge. It looks like your thick wavy washer is on upside down. It looks like to much space left above the star. You may have backed the star off to far allowing the drag stack to lift up the last eared washer & then turned the handle. You can try to put light pressure with the star against the spacer & crank the handle. Sometimes a couple of times & sometimes 50 times. That usually nudges the eared washer around to the next slot. When
the star goes slack it probably dropped in.

I think you are correct, I'll take it apart soon and update.

wideopenoutdoors

I took the reel apart today and couldn't find a thing wrong with it... :/  the only thing i could think of is like RowdyW said, an eared washer came over the main gear edge, but went back down. It appears that I may need to add a thick washer to this setup. as you can see with star all the way down the drag stack fits down in side the gear. I laid the entire stack out...

Star wheel, two wave washer, spacer sleeve, belleville, drag stack,main gear, under gear washer.

RowdyW

Usually the last keyed washer & last fiber washer is above the edge of the main gear. Measure the entire drag stack CF & metals without the cupped washer. It should measure .497" give or take a few thousands. You probably won't need the wavy washer above the star, only the thick wavy washer on top of the spacer. Of course you will need the cupped washer on top of the drag stack. Clear as mud, right?  :D

wideopenoutdoors

Quote from: RowdyW on July 19, 2020, 08:16:35 PM
Usually the last keyed washer & last fiber washer is above the edge of the main gear. Measure the entire drag stack CF & metals without the cupped washer. It should measure .497" give or take a few thousands. You probably won't need the wavy washer above the star, only the thick wavy washer on top of the spacer. Of course you will need the cupped washer on top of the drag stack. Clear as mud, right?  :D

I'm getting .470..... Going to add an extra thick washer between the bellville and the spacer sleeve I think.... Or maybe...... Just add another drag washer set ???? 🤔🤔🤔🤔