Calling all Long beach Deluxe owners

Started by 1badf350, July 08, 2020, 01:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Does anybody have one with a tailplate that looks like this? All of mine have plain blank tailplates with waffle clickers.  ???  ???

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

mo65

I'm no expert on the Deluxes...as I don't even own one yet...but I do believe the early models had the plain tailplate with waffle clicker...and the newer ones had the picture tailplate. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

I have 1 Chris, plain-waffle. Love to find one of these NIB.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Penn Chronology

Hello Chris,

All mine are blank side plate designs. This one is new to me.

Hello Ted, I am waiting for your response.............

Maxed Out

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 08, 2020, 03:47:25 PM
Hello Chris,

A very knowledgeable Penn history book author taught me a long time ago to "never say never" when it comes to Penn reels
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Deepennz

Hi Chris,
I have 2 DL60's, and a DL65 with that same etching - all have the 'Kiss clicker" - seems to be a post 1939 addition.
All of my earlier LBDL's - waffle clicker etc - just have the plain tail plate.
In the 'Penn picture tail plates" thread (Penn Reels)  Ray H has posted a picture of one on page 1.
Cheers
Martin

1badf350

Thanks Martin thats what i wanted to know. I had not seen that style of tailplate until that picture.
Rays picture doesn't display properly for me, presumably because its a Photobucket picture. It has a black bar across it.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

JoseCuervo

Quote from: 1badf350 on July 08, 2020, 08:53:31 PM
Thanks Martin thats what i wanted to know. I had not seen that style of tailplate until that picture.
Rays picture doesn't display properly for me, presumably because its a Photobucket picture. It has a black bar across it.

Photobucket has really done their best to ruin many historical threads on the Internet going back 20 or more years.

>:(

Is that scene aside from the text on any other reels?

1badf350

Its similar to a 259 long beach live bait caster, but no fishing boat. On the 259 the lighthouse sits on a cliff. This one looks like it sits on a beach or something. Also the clouds are different
-Chris

moondog371

i have one ....ill be honest isk how to post pics on here though .

Benni3

I just looked and mine is plain,,,,,, ;)

Penn Chronology

QuoteIts similar to a 259 long beach live bait caster, but no fishing boat. On the 259 the lighthouse sits on a cliff. This one looks like it sits on a beach or something. Also the clouds are different

Here we go. I thought I had seen it before. I now remember the one Ray had. I feel it is the last version of the DeLuxe models. These pictures were sent to me me by a Mr. Gary Mooney. This reel has all the bells and whistles. I especially like the knurled cross bar. When you see that feature, you know it is a pre-war reel. Thank you Gary!

Penn Chronology

QuotePhotobucket has really done their best to ruin many historical threads on the Internet going back 20 or more years.

I made a promise to myself about those Rats at Photobucket. That promise was they would never get a dime from me and anyone else I can influence. They established themselves as the premiere place to store your photos and be able to used them in different websites. Then after years, instead of Grandfathering old members in and then asking for a fee for the future use of their site, they simply cut everyone off and held your photos hostage unless you paid them for all the rights to post any of them. A typical example of how NOT to do business. I hate them. They have thousands of my photos, I use to use them to store my photos in small file formats for posting here and at ORCA. They ruined many of my early posts, I never forgave them and never will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteHello Chris,

A very knowledgeable Penn history book author taught me a long time ago to "never say never" when it comes to Penn reels

I listened to my own advice. You are the best Ted!

foakes

Quote from: Penn Chronology on July 09, 2020, 12:26:45 PM
QuotePhotobucket has really done their best to ruin many historical threads on the Internet going back 20 or more years.

I made a promise to myself about those Rats at Photobucket. That promise was they would never get a dime from me and anyone else I can influence. They established themselves as the premiere place to store your photos and be able to used them in different websites. Then after years, instead of Grandfathering old members in and then asking for a fee for the future use of their site, they simply cut everyone off and held your photos hostage unless you paid them for all the rights to post any of them. A typical example of how NOT to do business. I hate them. They have thousands of my photos, I use to use them to store my photos in small file formats for posting here and at ORCA. They ruined many of my early posts, I never forgave them and never will.

Hey Mike --

I agree with you 150% on the PB unbelievably stupid decisions to hold OUR photos hostage -- unless we paid an exorbitant fee to restore the photos.  I had over 5000 photos on PB, when this incredibly bad business decision went down with no warning.

However...

After venting myself privately (ask my wife) for a few months -- and publicly on our AT website -- I realized that in the end, even if I self-righteously refused to pay them any $$$ -- that wasn't getting me anywhere, except in my own head -- and the worst part -- PB basically won -- and did not care about my anger or attitude.  It just hurt me -- not PB.

Bottom line -- here is what I decided to do:

After the PB CEO was fired for handling this so badly -- PB came out with some much smaller fees to reinstate our accounts.

I signed up for that -- and all of my photos were restored within a minute.

Then, I downloaded all of the photos to a physical device of my own -- and repopulated the old posts with my own original photos.

Did I want to do this -- NO!

But not doing it -- only kept me sour -- and PB was still in charge of my photos and posts.

So I did what I could do to regain personal control -- and just moved forward.

It is easy to say that other's actions are wrong and possibly bordering on illegal -- but the next steps we take are so crucial to our own well being -- realizing that we must have control -- and we cannot allow anyone else to determine that for us.

My grandmother used to tell me that the trouble in wrestling with Pigs, was -- you will both get muddy and S*** stained -- the difference is -- the Pig likes it!

Just what I did -- maybe mot for anyone else.

But the main thing is to get YOUR photos unlocked and accessible -- so you can then make some decisions that YOU have control over.

Your posts, Mike -- are too important to the angling world from a learning and historical standpoint...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.