Fishing the 910

Started by biggiesmalls, April 30, 2020, 03:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: biggiesmalls on June 01, 2020, 03:08:27 PMI've been pulling 80+ hour weeks starting my own company

Hey Drew, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of business are you doing?

Now about those grass carp, chum with bread and let your bait float. Set hook right away, and please use a barbless hook! Be very gentle landing and handling them as well, best to slide them onto the grass, don't lift them, they are very delicate fish. I no longer fish for them as they are pretty wimpy fighters, not worth the trouble.

Oh, and I thought you were referring to the Levelmatic as well, lol.

biggiesmalls

Haha, no Penn 910... got the 980 though ;)

biggiesmalls

So yesterday started by throwing Gotchas into the schools of mullet in the surf. Of course with our luck, all we managed was this:

A lizardfish. Pretty decent for cut bait but that's about all. As soon as we got that, I said "what's next, a pompano on a gotcha?" Spoke a bit too soon:

Might be the smallest pompano I've ever caught ;). We got him back out - I'll meet up with him again in 2 years, on my plate hopefully.

As the sun set we started putting out cut lizardfish and flounder heads in hopes of a blacktip, but no luck off the beach. Decided to hit the run-down local pier for an hour or so before calling it a night. The beach was super calm, so the bugs were in full force. Not 5 minutes into getting a line in the water at the pier, reel starts clicking. So I have my buddy slowly tighten the drag and it's on. Took about 60 seconds in total, but it was a fun 60 seconds while it lasted!

Ended up being a roughly 2 foot sharpnose shark. Not the monster we were going for, but it broke the streak!

I've fished with Cole for 2 years now and this is the first time we have ever caught anything we were actually trying to catch, or wanted to. Pretty easy to complain about a 2 foot fish when the goal is 6, but it's pretty tough to complain when you get a kid his first shark! This kid's spoiled - he's the new owner of my 12 ;)

Tight lines,
Drew

p.s. - how do I embed pictures? I'm young, but I'm HORRIBLE with technology haha

biggiesmalls

Quote from: nelz on June 01, 2020, 04:39:30 PM
Quote from: biggiesmalls on June 01, 2020, 03:08:27 PMI've been pulling 80+ hour weeks starting my own company

Hey Drew, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of business are you doing?

Now about those grass carp, chum with bread and let your bait float. Set hook right away, and please use a barbless hook! Be very gentle landing and handling them as well, best to slide them onto the grass, don't lift them, they are very delicate fish. I no longer fish for them as they are pretty wimpy fighters, not worth the trouble.

Oh, and I thought you were referring to the Levelmatic as well, lol.
Hi nelz, sorry missed this post! Thanks for the tips on grass carp - will try. They're not something I'll pursue much, but they've been in the back of my mind ever since I saw a big one. Want to cross it off the list.

I started a Math Tutoring Company. That was my first job at 14, I worked with a company from the time we opened 4 years ago until we just recently closed about 1.5 months ago. Just opened up shop officially a week ago - our website is www.mathbusterstutoring.com :)

nelz

Good for you Drew, best success on the entrepreneurial endeavor!

Benni3

Great job man,,,,,, :D and keep the good times rolling,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Way to go guy... with everything.  More like three foot though.
-steve

biggiesmalls

Thanks everyone, good to be back. I'll take 3!
Need to get the 12/0 out soon. I'm lucky enough to have access to some super nice baits here, so we can put out a 15+ lb carcass on it.

Drew

Benni3

Quote from: biggiesmalls on June 23, 2020, 02:46:11 PM
Thanks everyone, good to be back. I'll take 3!
Need to get the 12/0 out soon. I'm lucky enough to have access to some super nice baits here, so we can put out a 15+ lb carcass on it.

Drew

Ya,,,,,,, can't wait to see you get the big one,,,,,,,, ;D