cu 200 b spool bearing

Started by vilters, July 09, 2020, 08:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

replaced 2 spool bearings on my reel some time back. i could not remove the pin to replace the inner bearing, so lubed & left it. would like to go back and replace it. so how is the pin through the shaft best removed? after a search on this site, i could not find any information.

philaroman

there are special tools: https://www.bing.com/search?q=reel+spool+pin+removal+tool&qs=RI&pq=pin+removal+tool+reel&sk=SC1&sc=2-21&cvid=5B462A8C53F04E0880D67CCB0A00CFE0&FORM=QBRE&sp=2

somewhere on here is a home-made version (modified pliers), but I can't find it

or, you could tap it out VERY carefully w/ some sort of cushioning medium (wood, hard rubber)
no metal-on-metal hammering, or you may deform the pin (or worse, the shaft)
not that hard to tap it out, but how do you line it up to re-insert without the tool?
...turns into SERIOUS DIY  ::)

zoner

I've done a couple of them with a hammer and a punch. A standard punch(with a flat end) didn't work too well....kept jumping off the pin. I went thru my toolbox and went with a carpenter's nail set. The slightly cupped end of the nail set stays with the pin much better. Take your time, it's really not hard to do

oc1

The Hedgehog gizmo (in the link above) has a cupped end and a smaller straight end.  The cupped end pushes the pin until it is flush with the shaft.  Then the straight end is used to press the pin through the shaft until if falls out on the other side and is caught in the dish.  You do not have to grab it with pliers.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

philaroman

Quote from: vilters on July 09, 2020, 08:21:52 PM
after a search on this site, i could not find any information.

thought there was plenty on here about "pin pulling":
home-made version of the Boca pliers; $12 Chinese version of "The Hedgehog gizmo"
(should be plenty good enough for just a few personal light LP's)
can't find nuttin' -- tough subject to categorize in a Search Engine

vilters

thanks for the replies. checked out the hedgehog tool, and then searched amazon and ebay for other options, plenty of them, and found one for less that ships from the u.s. so i don't have to wait a month or 2. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baitcasting-Reel-Spool-Pin-Puller-Bearing-Pin-Remover-Tool-shipped-In-The-USA/254620758962?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649