fishing the california central coast with alantani.com

Started by alantani, July 11, 2020, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

we've been putting these trips along the central coast for a while now.  what makes it easy is that our family has a small vacation house in cayucos, a small town just 5 minutes north of morro bay.  for deep water rockcod, you really can't beat it!  we have room for eight, even more if people don't mind sleeping on the floor and we don't have to worry about this covid stuff.  if you are staying at the house, please bring a sleeping bag, pillow and towels.  there is no maid service, so help cleaning up after is appreciated. 

for fishing, lately it's been on the starfire out of morro bay landing.  we will likely be fishing deep, like 200-300 feet.  that means 1 pound weights so that we all drift the same and not tangle each other up.  also, just a little hint.  simple double hook rigs like shrimp flies with squid will get you down fast, and it it is usually the guy that gets down fastest that gets bit first.  also, if you fish whole squid, you get short bites from smaller fish, but the big ones will swallow the whole bait and get hooked.  you tend to catch the larger ones with whole squid, so that is what i encourage.  i think that anything brought up from that depth will die from decompression, regardless of what the fisheries biologists say. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I absolutely LOVE fishing out of Morro bay and staying at the Cayucos house. There are very few better ways to spend a few days, especially if we go up to Passo Port and visit Tom and get a bottle of wine or two+. This is the only way Alison enjoys fishing. I can't make it on Monday, when are we going next Boss?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rocket Dog