COVID 19 and Loreto

Started by SoCalAngler, July 12, 2020, 01:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3

Ok so I have been forced to safely meetings and I'm certified bye home land and the state of Virginia,,,epa,,osha,,msha,,,,, ;) if you just put this on your safe anywhere,,,, :) overkill,,,,,,, :D I thought people would look at me crazy,,,,,, :o but no there like I might need that,,,,,,, ;D

jurelometer

The COVID situation in Baja (and PV) is similar to here in the USA, and is also moving exponentially in the wrong direction.  Repotrting is lower there, so it is probably worse.  Mexico is about to do their their twice-a-month update of the the stoplight map, and just about every region is moving one color in the wrong direction.  Like in the USA, hospital beds are in short supply, but they are also running low on basic medications to be able do do stuff like intubation.   From the stuff that I have heard from folks in Loreto, things are not necessarily that much worse than places in the USA, but not better either.  There have been illness and even loss of life in the fishing community.

Baja (north) is expected to move into RED, which means as close to shelter in place as they get down there.   BCS (Loreto, La Paz, Cabo) is is expected to go from yellow into into orange.

Having said that, many of these communities rely on tourist dollars to put food on the table for working class folks. I know folks that are more than happy to see a tourist right now in the Loreto.  Mexico is doing what it can to keep tourism open via air travel, but technically the land border is already closed to tourism traffic, and enforcement could pick up again.   If you do decide to go, be aware that the infection risk is higher than it was in the spring, and if you need medical help, you may not get it, or if you do you will be taking it from a local.   I have read that some travel insurance (and medical evacuation) polices are starting to include COVID again.  This is worth looking into if you are considering going.

Quote from: foakes on December 10, 2020, 05:16:38 PM
Most times, and particularly during these times —

The women in our lives need more reassurance, a sense of protection, safety, home, and someone to unload on from time to time — that could be good or bad venting.

Every household is different.  If flesh eating zombies ever break into my house, I know which one of us is going to be fighting them off with a hatchet, and who will be hiding under the bed.   Just checked, and I still fit, even after gaining the quarantine 15... :)

But the advice to exercise a little extra patience and awareness with our household members is a spot on.  

Quote from: Benni3 on December 11, 2020, 04:38:51 AM
Ok so I have been forced to safely meetings and I'm certified bye home land and the state of Virginia,,,epa,,osha,,msha,,,,, ;) if you just put this on your safe anywhere,,,, :) overkill,,,,,,, :D I thought people would look at me crazy,,,,,, :o but no there like I might need that,,,,,,, ;D

A couple thoughts:  Don't need the organic vapor cartridge, any particulate filter will work.  And those masks all have relief valves, so if you are infected but unaware (the big problem with COVID spread), you are not protecting other people from yourself.  In terms of helping the community, a three ply cloth mask might be a better option for going to the supermarket.  But if I were walking into a mask free congregate setting like a political rally, I would  go with a well fitted respirator like Bennie's  ;D

-J

oc1

Quote from: Dominick on December 11, 2020, 12:30:28 AM
The world is overcrowded.  Covid-19 is nature's way of thinning the population.  Think about it.  What happens when a herd of deer (or any other group of animals) outgrows its habitat?  Dominick
Poor old Mother Nature.  She only has a couple of tools in her tool box: disease, famine, pestilence, natural disaster, etc.  Unfortunately, those damn humans keep finding little ways to sneak around her: medicine, vaccines, fertilizers, pesticides, levees, seawalls, etc.  Then, she found this new tool: climate change.  That will get them for sure.

-s

oc1

For spraying/sanding you need both the dust filter and the activated carbon (vapor) filter (like in the P-95).  The dust filter will work until it is clogged.  The activated carbon will load up with vapors it removes from the air. Trouble is, it keeps absorbing stuff from the air when you take it off.  You can extend the life by keeping it in the bag when not in use.  There is no easy way to know if it is still working except, maybe, the smell test.  Some places like fiberglassing shops make you write the date on the mask with a Sharpie when you open the bag and then replace it after a certain amount of time. It may be as little as 40 hours use or 30 days for the 3M P-95.  I believe it's an insurance thing.  
-s

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2020, 06:15:49 AM
Ok so I have been forced to safely meetings and I'm certified bye home land and the state of Virginia,,,epa,,osha,,msha,,,,, ;) if you just put this on your safe anywhere,,,, :) overkill,,,,,,, :D I thought people would look at me crazy,,,,,, :o but no there like I might need that,,,,,
For spraying/sanding you need both the dust filter and the activated carbon (vapor) filter (like in the P-95).  The dust filter will work until it is clogged.  The activated carbon will load up with vapors it removes from the air. Trouble is, it keeps absorbing stuff from the air when you take it off.  You can extend the life by keeping it in the bag when not in use.  There is no easy way to know if it is still working except, maybe, the smell test.  Some places like fiberglassing shops make you write the date on the mask with a Sharpie when you open the bag and then replace it after a certain amount of time. It may be as little as 40 hours use or 30 days for the 3M P-95.  I believe it's an insurance thing.  
-s
I always use a paper filter before the fiberglass filter,,,,,,,,, ;) before it was just to keep paint dust out,,,, :) ok I'm just saying N95 are bull%$#%@*,,,,,, :o if i a got fit tested mask it's certified by a billionaire dollar company and I just feel safe and yes the cdc wears them,,,,,, 8) I just wonder why they don't tell people the same thing I have been told for 25 years and the coronavirus had gotten so bad in this valley nobody is making fun of me wearing it,,,,,,,, ;D