Penn 706

Started by sharkman, July 13, 2020, 11:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Opinions on using this reel for land based tarpon fishing. It already has drag upgrade. What line would everyone recommend.

oc1

It may be marginal using mono.  Will work with 50 to 65# braid.
-steve

thorhammer

agree with Steve- you didn't say if you're casting lures or soaking bait but I'd go with 3-400 yds of 50 braid and topshot with 25-30 mono, with ten feet of 80 mono as a shock leader for casting and abrasion resistance. if i was bait fishing I'd want a longer topshot with line scrubbing on the bottom in a rod holder; if strictly casting plugs or sandy bottom I use straight 50-65 braid with 12 feet or so shock leader for casting further.

John

sharkman

Thank guys for recommendations. I will be soaking live baits. I have never fished for tarpon. Usually my non-eating game fish of choice is sharks but I saw a guy catch one yesterday it looked like a lot of fun. What size hook would you recommend.

thorhammer

depends on size of bait but 8/0 - 10/0 Gamakatsu circle hook with a live pinfish is what I used down there and worked well. depend on size of target also- this is ok for 30-100 lb fish but may want a heavier hook if you have beasts around. Live cobb mullet is said to be the best but pinfish are readily had.

Benni3

That's my go to big spin reel,,,,,, ;) you can cast bait with out weight and free run it,,,, ;D