Daiwa BG2500 troubleshooting

Started by Makz06, July 16, 2020, 01:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makz06

Just ran across this web site.  What a great wealth of information.   I've done some searching and digging through the info here but so far haven't found an answer. 
I've got 4 Daiwa BG 2500 all purchased about a year ago. All used about the same amount and immediately rinsed after each use. One had started intermittently become difficult to turn. It will be running smooth and is easy to turn and all of a sudden will get very tight and hard to turn for part of the handle rotation. Then it will smooth out and every 3-4 turns get real tight and hard to push through. It does not happen at any particular point in the spool travel forward or backward (i.e. all the way out or all the way in). It doesn't happen at any particular point in the handle orientation.  It may work ok for 10-20 minutes and then problem reappears. 
I'm assuming I have a bad bearing but can't identify which one. I completely disassembled it and another. Both looked identical inside regarding lubrication, cleanliness, etc. I completely cleaned each gear and component and recoated with grease. The bearings were just wiped off and given a new outer coating of grease. All of the bearings seemed to turn smoothly and did not feel rough or gritty or tight...
Same problem again after reassembly. The problem actually went away for the better part of a day after a couple hours of use, and then returned again the next day. I've also noticed that when I take it off the rod and it has no tension on the line, I can reel for long periods of time and not replicate the problem. The problem only seems to occur occasionally and only when tension is on the line...  Roller bearing is turning ok.
This morning another one of the reels started doing the same thing...
Thoughts? Suggestions? yeah, I know I can take it to a repair shop but I hate not fixing stuff myself and not sure they could fix anyway if they can't reliably replicate the problem.
Thanks for any suggestions.

philaroman

swap shaft/pinion/main between reels & see where the problem goes
if it follows the shaft/pinion assembly, how straight is the shaft?
(roll it around on glass next to known "good" shaft)
how clean/smooth (pref., POLISHED) is the INSIDE of the pinion (shaft, too)?
significant problems w/ either would be more regular, but maybe you have
tiny issues with both, that only cause a problem when they "meet up"

Gfish

Interesting. Sounds like maybe every now and then, something is moving out of alignment. What though? And what causes it?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oldmanjoe

Sounds like you have a broken cage on one of the bearings , causing a ball to stack up once in a while .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

ok, swap bearings between two reels &
see if the problem follows the bearing(s) from the "bad" reel
I mean, you have 4 of the same model -- right?
you can do a whole lot to isolate the issue, just by swapping

Makz06

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.  I'll definitely check the shaft for straightness and can swap bearings.  I'm headed out of town this weekend but will report back once i figure it out (or not).
The biggest problem is that it's intermittent so may take a while after I swap to be sure it's actually resolved the problems.
Thanks for the quick responses.

Makz06

Well, nothing really to report that may help anyone with similar problems in the future.  Problem still unidentified.
I disassembled one of the problem reels and one that was running smooth.  Swapped the bearings and shaft from one to the other.  Re-lubed and assembled.  As before, I can't replicate a problem.  Have probably spent an hour or more just reeling each one while sitting in front of the tv at night.  Also made about 30 casts and retrieves with each one so there would be some tension on the lines.  Neither one exhibits any problems.
Beats me.  Will have to get them out for a full day's fishing to see if problem returns.
Thanks for the help and suggestions. 

Gfish

How about something in the ossilitation system, even though it doesn't happen at any specific up/down spool shaft movement point. Could something there have broken or come loose? Could try swaping those parts to a functioning reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Makz06

Quote from: Gfish on July 28, 2020, 12:11:02 AM
How about something in the ossilitation system, even though it doesn't happen at any specific up/down spool shaft movement point. Could something there have broken or come loose? Could try swaping those parts to a functioning reel.
Yes, sort of what I was thinking it was coming from.   It felt like when that oscillating gear would bind-up when you don't have everything back in place and tightened down yet.  That rough/tight feel as the shaft is supposed to  roll over the extents at the far back or front of gear.  But like you say, I hadn't seen it happening at specific points in the travel. 
All those components; gear, washers, bearings, etc all looked fine.  I suppose something may have been out of whack and reassembly got it back like it should be.  I guess I'll know after my next fishing trip. 
Thanks.

Gfish

You bet. I have the 5000 version of this reel. Afraid to dive fully into it, cause of how Allen Hawk described the difficulty of lining up all the gear box parts for reassembly. Very well lubed at the factory, so I'll wait on full disassembly.

Makz06

Well, problem has returned on one of the reels.  I've had it out as part of the arsenal on 5 trips so far, probably a total of 6-8 hours of constant use.  Had been working perfectly and this morning it once again started that tight hard turn issue.  Only happens if I stop the retrieve and then start back up.  Only happens a percentage of the time.  Seems like it's happening when the spool is down about 2/3 of the way to its lowest point before going back up, not on exactly the same spot or always at that point in the travel... 
If I just wind steady without the pause it never feels tight.  I can't replicate the problem unless I'm using it with tension on the line...
Weird. Especially that it would work fine for so long before starting back with the problem. 
I've got to figure out if this is the original problem reel or the one that I swapped the bearings with...
Still seems or feels like an issue with that oscillating gear or function. 

Wolli

Years back there were problems with the Saltiga Z6500HDF where a plastic bushing was used on the osc gear. To the delight of the anglers it broke and got caught in the slide.... Cranking was hardly possible afterwards.
In later Saltigas 7000/8000 and the BG series a rubber ring (61) was used. So far not heard how long it will last. But you should have a look.

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Makz06

Quote from: Wolli on August 29, 2020, 12:37:16 AM

Years back there were problems with the Saltiga Z6500HDF where a plastic bushing was used on the osc gear. To the delight of the anglers it broke and got caught in the slide.... Cranking was hardly possible afterwards.
In later Saltigas 7000/8000 and the BG series a rubber ring (61) was used. So far not heard how long it will last. But you should have a look.

Hmmm...  great info.  I'll be sure to check that out as soon as I have time to break it down.  I don't remember seeing anything on that gear's part.
Thanks much for the tip.