Fishing Over 1000 Feet

Started by Hardy Boy, July 16, 2020, 05:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

Well I have played a couple of times with my new toy that I got from the Boss, a Tanacom 1000 electric reel. My wife loves Sablefish and I caught a few last year with a buddy and his electric reels  off of the West Coast of Vancouver island so I thought I would try it here on the East Coast. I did some research and determined I might be able to find some closer to home, so I got the reel from Alan, spooled it up and went to try. My first drop at 750 feet resulted in a decent Sablefish (4 lb), next drop dogfish, next drop blank, next drop at 1000 feet resulted in a smallish Sablefish. Boat battery issues drove me in.

Next day,new battery, went out and caught a spring and a couple coho and then went to experiment at some more spots, deep dropping. I found a real good spot for dogfish at 600 feet ; got the hell out of there. We had small tides so I went for the 1300 foot spot I had scoped out. It takes 4 to 5 mins to let out over 1200 feet of line !! First drop I get a Red Banded rockfish (very tasty), next drop a little deeper, 5 min to hit bottom, get a bite, 7 mins to retrieve line, a nice 8 lb Sablefish !.

Next drop I had a bite and started to retrieve and bang the line snaps and I lost 250 meters of line ......................... stupid ceramic insert on the guide had a nick !!. That finished the deep drop that day. Guide replaced, reel spooled.  More adventures to come .......

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Gobi King

Ceramic insert nick - ouch, hope you get it fixed

So you batts were running low?

I planning on using my tanacom 1000 for inline divers to get to salmon at 100 ft, don't have power figured out it.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Hardy Boy

I have the reel plugged into my downrigger power plug. The battery issue was with the boat: I killed my battery by leaving a switch on, I recharged it but it was pooched and would not hold a charge anymore. I replaced with a new battery and everything functions great. Plugging the reel into the rigger plug is the way to go.

Guide fixed.

Todd
Todd

Swami805

Sable fish are tasty!!  Mmm, like butter
Do what you can with that you have where you are

scrinch

The Tanacom 1000 is what I used in Sitka for commercial ling fishing at 450-500'. I was embarrassed at first to not be winding them in myself, but after fish #30 I was doggone glad for the "winch". It's tough enough all day long jigging, setting the hook, and then safely getting the rod out into the rod holder with the weight of the rod, reel, jig, and a 45" ling pulling for the bottom!

Sablefish are thought by many to be quite the delicacy. Glad you could get out and figure out how to catch 'em for your wife.

Todd, on the Tanacom did you ever have your tackle at the surface, reach to take the reel out of gear to make a drop, but accidently hit the power lever? Not recommended!  :'(

gstours

Thanks for the pictures,  and tasty too.
   Toddy, how much weight were you using?  Just wondering.   Glad you got the batteries going on the boat.🎣

Hardy Boy

They were small tides with not much flow; 4 foot tide swing. 1.5 lbs worked for the shallower drops and I used 2 lbs for the deep drops. I would not want to attempt drops over 1000 feet on anything but the smallest tides. On a side note I was using salmon skin/ trims salted for bait on two single 9/0 J hooks tied on 100 lb test. Dogfish crew through 60 lb way too easy. Kind of fun to try something different

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks for the reply, sounds like fun anyway I look at it.   Oh by the way save us some salmon..🚣‍♀️🤓

Hardy Boy

I gave it a try again today. started at 1000 feet and found where the dogfish live; three drops three dogs. Moved into 700 feet and 4 drops 4 Sablefish (1  gooder, 1 decent and 2 smaller but still OK). Turns out dogfish fight and bite differently so I'm starting to be able to put things together to figure who is who before they get too the boat. One pull I had a dog on one hook and a sablefish on the other.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Swami805

We have sable fish here but illegal to fish that deep. They call it black cod in the fish market, I guess it sells better called that. Kind of like kiwi instead of Chinese goose berry.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

Picked up 4 blk cod this morning. Had to get back in to get to work so no pics. Nothing big but good eaters. &50 feet was the ticket today.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

gstours

Thanks tardy 👦, boy.  Good luck 🍀 next time.  Now go to work.🚶‍♀️

Gobi King

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bryan Young

Yum...Sablefish is my most favorite cooked fish every.  I could eat at least 5 days a week.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hardy Boy

Spent a couple hours deep dropping at 700 to 850 feet the other day for only one smallish sablefish and several dogfish; I'm trying new spots as I don't want to only have one spot; its nice to have a trap line. Gave up on the deep drop and did the opposite , baby avet and light trevalla rod, 3 oz jig in 60 feet and got huge blk bass, lingcod, quillbacks, yellowtail and widows one after the other ............................. go with what works and cover your bases.............. I like it better when plan A works though .................. ???

Cheers:

Todd
Todd