Penn 112h with a shredded SS main gear

Started by Lane Grant, July 17, 2020, 02:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: nelz on July 31, 2020, 08:10:28 PM
So what does this all say about the new "micro gear" tech that's out there now, with "smaller teeth and more of them"?

You got that right.

Smaller can be smoother, but all else being equal, it will not be stronger.   People generally enjoy smoother winding reels, and unfortunately customers tend to believe that smoother winding means higher quality, when it could just be softer metal and smaller teeth.  Small teeth can work, but you need some combination of tighter tolerances for shaft alignment and backlash, more resilient materials and/or lighter loads.    Big fat tough bronze or steel teeth with lots of backlash and a lot of tolerance for wobble and freeplay means that the reel can stand up to more corrosion and misuse.  That is why we can still catch big fish with a Senator that has been fished hard for decades, even if it sort of looks and sounds like an old tractor.

I probably wouldn't want large toothed, hardened steel gears in a micro spinner.  But I will take some growling in reels intended for heavy use. And if the reel is a larger conventional with gear sleeve design,  I would think twice about swapping in smaller toothed gears.   

I won't comment on the marketspeak  used to sell a design or manufacturing tradeoff as some sort of technological breakthrough.

OK, I will comment just a bit :) 

From Shimano on the "Hagane" (Japanese for steel?, except it isn't steel)  technology in gears- "surface calculated in minute detail with special 3D design".  Hah!- just like my watermelon pink plastic example gears.

BTW Jurelometer reels now come with the new "Purasuchikku" technolgy with the surfaces calculated in minute detail with special 3D design and built on a state of the art Fused Deposition Modeling machine (designed with free CAD software and 3D printed in plastic on a hobby printer).  Just don't wind too hard, and all will be well.  No refunds :)

-J

oc1

Quote from: jurelometer on July 31, 2020, 09:43:39 PM
But I will take some growling in reels intended for heavy use.
I swapped out the spool with attached pinion on a reel because the spindle was gouged.  On another, I swapped out or the main gear with attached gear post to get a different style handle nut.  We're talking about very basic old baitcasters with no AR and no drag.  

What they say is true; if you change one gear and not the other, then they will growl.  You have to assume that if gears are growling then there are surfaces dragging against each other to make the noise.  You want the tooth surfaces to touch, but not drag against each other.  When surfaces drag against each other they wear away at each other. Sometimes the growling is reduced as the gears wear against each other.

At what point does broken-in become worn-out?  I don't know.  But, I do know that I cannot fish often enough and hard enough to wear out the gears on even a little low-tech baitcaster.  I can't strip the gears either because it would burn the stew out of my thumb and bust my knuckles to put that much pressure on them.  I just embraced the growling some years ago.  It's only noise and is less irritating than tinnitus.

-s

Ron Jones

I agree Bryan. I remember the 5:1s not doing well in the 112h, probably why Newells are actually 4.81. ProChallenger makes 4.8:1 gears that I understand are much stronger.

I love the 3/0 size, but it is obvious that it is harder on these gears than a JigMaster.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

RowdyW

The only main difference between a jigmaster 500 & a 112H is the spool on the 500 is a little wider & the spool on the 112H is a little taller. The slight difference between them is that with full spools on both, the 112H has a little more pressure put on it because of the larger diameter. They both use identical gears & drags. But, the frame on the 112H is stronger to better resist twisting even when going to an aftermarket frame on both. They both hold about 300 yds. of 30# mono. So it's really just a matter of preference.          

redsetta

Fantastic thread lads - really enjoyed the education!
Those Purasuchikku gears are sensational :D ;D
Thanks all, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Fishy247

QuoteBTW Jurelometer reels now come with the new "Purasuchikku" technolgy with the surfaces calculated in minute detail with special 3D design and built on a state of the art Fused Deposition Modeling machine (designed with free CAD software and 3D printed in plastic on a hobby printer).  Just don't wind too hard, and all will be well.  No refunds Smiley

I want one... ;D

Very cool thread! It's always great when Dave starts getting all technical and engineery in his explanations.

Love it!

Rancanfish

Shouldn't Lane have a new PC heavy duty sleeve spacer too?  That would reduce his gear sleeve movement a bit.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Brendan

I'm glad I found this. I have the same reel on my bench and its giving me grief. I didn't have to catch a fish to know its not right. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Brendan.