Darn just broke Penn 720z handle. The screw is inside the body.

Started by Fishgolfman, August 08, 2020, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

I have never attempted to repair the 720z. Need pointer on what to do without spending unless hours figuring it out. I could tap the broken piece out but suspect that somehow saltwater use caused corrosion and rusted it in. Help please!!

PacRat

Go to an auction site and start looking for a new body or a donor reel. You didn't say which screw it is or show us a photo. If you are skilled you might be able to tease the stub out but it will take some time and patience and you may still need a new body. Start by cleaning it and soaking with a good quality penetrating oil.

If it were my reel...I would buy a new body. They can be had for $10 or $20 for NOS.

Good luck
Mike

foakes

Mike might be right -- but without photos, you may only need to --

Remove the main gear that the handle screws into

Drill out and attempt extraction after with an easy-out after soaking the main gear in penetrating oil for awhile.

Might need to re-tap the threads in the main gear axle (might not).

Worst case, a new main gear and a new handle insert screw.

Body may be just fine.

Pictures?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

PacRat

After reading the title more carefully and realizing that it is in fact the handle that broke; my advice is to listen to Fred.
-Mike

oldmanjoe

Just a question , you were turning it in the  rite direction  ?   Left hand thread .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare