alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Black 710 & 711
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 14, 2020, 08:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black 710 & 711  (Read 388 times)
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« on: July 17, 2020, 10:17:43 AM »

There seems to be very little information on production of the black 710 & 711 spinners. One thing I do know is it wasn't a factory mistake using black paint instead of green. Nobody knows how many black ones were produced, but rumor has it that more black 710 were made than the black 711

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Midway Tommy
Tom
Sensei

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »

According to my old compadre Ben Wright, the black 710 was introduced, and offered for a short time, in 1966. Penn used two different black finishes, one smooth and one stippled. He stated he had been told that approximately 400 of the 710 blacks were produced. As with most left hand/right hand wind models of the time, a much smaller percentage of 711s were manufactured. Ben had access to much of Penn's records of that time frame. He indicated that Penn had no records of ever producing the 711 and that the best estimates from those that had any knowledge were somewhere between 10 and 100. Both models are pretty hard to come by.     

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:17:37 PM »

I think that I have a black 710 in the box -- average used condition.

Belongs to a friend of mine who dropped off a crate of 45 reels to service and restore.

On the road now and for another few days.

Best,

Fred

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.

In life, be flexible, willing to listen to others, willing to change your mind based on your good judgement -- that is how progress is made, and new horizons are discovered.  When the winds of change blow -- A flexible limb moves and thrives -- a stiff and stubborn limb just snaps.
1badf350
Firearms Group

-Chris

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 12:41:53 PM »

Tommy thats what I have heard as well. The black 710 pops up often enough that either A) there are more than 400 or B) there are alot of fakes.
I have seen them with silver badges and bronze badges, and with white painted metal corner boxes and unpainted metal corner boxes.
Here is my unprofessional opinion. I think Ben Wright was correct in his estimates. I also think a truly correct black 710/711 should have a silver emblem and a box with white painted corners and “Philadelphia 32” postal code
Here are the ones Ive managed to find.
From left to right:
710 black smooth finish
710 black textured finish
711 black smooth finish
I dont know if a textured black 711 was made

* DDE224DF-D1C7-4F2A-8AE3-F6A86FC13FDC.jpeg (2931.92 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 25 times.)

* BD39C5E1-4EF1-46E1-939D-E305218655E4.jpeg (1706.26 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 19 times.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 01:07:49 PM by 1badf350 » Logged

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"
happyhooker

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 03:58:25 PM »

Nice post.  Interesting the company has no records on the 711.

Frank
Midway Tommy
Tom
Sensei

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »

Chris,

I think most of us know black reels are the easiest repaints. There are way too many green naive collectors out there and not near enough people that can tell if the paint is 60+ years old. So..o..o..o..the buyer better know his stuff.   Wink

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 01:54:46 AM »

Chris,

I think most of us know black reels are the easiest repaints. There are way too many green naive collectors out there and not near enough people that can tell if the paint is 60+ years old. So..o..o..o..the buyer better know his stuff.   Wink
Yeah, but you can't fake that silver badge.  

The repainted ones do not have chips in the paint.   Smiley   The poorly repainted ones show where the original green was chipped off.  Somewhere on the internet there are step-by-step photos of a really nice paint job after bead blasting and priming.
-s
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:58:26 AM by oc1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: