Bass on a 90 year old rod

Started by the rockfish ninja, July 23, 2020, 06:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

A few years back I posted a thread in the antique section about how I took on the project of restoring a vintage bamboo rod, and how fortunate I was to have it come out well for a first timer at it. Since that time it sat on display in the living room paired up with an old Quaker City knuckle buster.

Well today I got talked into something I never do, waste time at a lake, catching fish I'm not going to eat. So along with a modern rig, I brought out the old antique and proceeded to wear my shoulder out casting the thing. TBH, After flinging out my rubber worm a few times I was actually surprised at the distance I was getting, pretty respectable 30-40 yds, but fighting a fish...
... let's just say that dinker bass put that rig thru the paces.

Deadly Sebastes assassin.

oc1

Good one.  That's how it's done.  At least, that's how it was done back when fishermen were fishermen.
-steve

thorhammer

oldmanjoe

With a little care ,a bamboo rod is not as fragile as people try to make them out to be  .   I do about 80% of my fishing with boo rods.
  It`s a mindset ,it`s not a race to boat the fish , it`s all about the tug .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Sounds like some fun.  A return on the restoration work.

Frank

Benni3

Great job man,,,, ;) and there's just something nice about catching a fish on a vintage rod and reel,,,,,,,, ;D

Sonnett

even more fun with a vintage lure to go with the rod and reel

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Sonnett on July 24, 2020, 07:13:04 PM
even more fun with a vintage lure to go with the rod and reel

Awesome, & it was a big one too!!

I brought a vintage plug too, but only got hits on the purple worm.
It's hard to fight them with those tiny peg handles & no drag, my antique is going back up on display for good.

oc1

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 25, 2020, 03:39:42 AM
It's hard to fight them with those tiny peg handles & no drag

And here I thought you were a real fisherman.  They have a drag solution for people like you, the Pflueger Cub.  They fit many reels of that era.
-steve

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: oc1 on July 25, 2020, 04:40:16 AM
Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 25, 2020, 03:39:42 AM
It's hard to fight them with those tiny peg handles & no drag

And here I thought you were a real fisherman.  They have a drag solution for people like you, the Pflueger Cub.  They fit many reels of that era.
-steve

Yea well now I know why all those real (old) fishermen have arthritis. The handles on my reel are loose from the previous owner using their palm to slow down fish, so an upgrade handle would be cool ...... but I'll stick to modern gear to keep my knuckles functioning.

Sonnett

For me half the fun of playing a fish on older freshwater tackle is using ones thumb as the drag system. I have always found that my thumb was more sensitive and reliable than a drag system. I bought my first Ambassadeur 5000 in 1964 and immediately found disfavor with the star drag as opposed to my thumb.

Rancanfish

Sonnet, you need a bigger tacklebox.  ;)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Sonnett

I learned a valuable lesson one day when I was unable to unhook a large Bowfin beside the boat with pliers and without thinking it through, I reached under his stomach and flipped him into the boat and directly into that open tackle box. I cannot describe what followed without having flashbacks!!!

steelfish

jjeezz  90yo rod

and I was "exited" to use the shimano Bantam magnumlite 2000Gt because it was a 40 yo reel  ;D ;D

I have some older casting reels, some penn, some like those knuckle busters but the bantam is pretty cool because it "has" the vintage look but cast pretty good and have great drag specially since it was recently upgraded to a one HT-100 drag washer of a Baja Special reel instead of the faded stock drag washer
The Baja Guy