SX Halibut fun

Started by Hardy Boy, July 23, 2020, 04:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

I have a little Avet SX that I traded a member for, that I have paired with a new Shimano Trevala jigging rod. Its a super light combo, easy to jig for extended periods, loaded with 50 lb braid and a 40 lb top shot. I have caught some rockfish with it butt yesterday I went out and managed to jig up 4 chicken halibut, in 200 feet of water, on a 7 oz minnow jig. Lots of fun. Kept this 23 lber for some good eats. On the way home I stopped for a salmon and picked up this nice 17 lb spring in less than 10 mins on the first pass (nice bonus). Also got some nice black rockfish. Nice day to be out !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Ron Jones

Several very tasty dinners there, especially the rockfish. Looks like a great time.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

OOOOhhh! That's some tasty lookin meat there and sounds like some serious fishin fun too! 3 great eatin species in one trip! I'm green with envy. Gots to do a little hurriacne prep. today, no fishin for the next few days.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  I,m so jealous of your salmon.   Just wondering if you were trolling for the king 👑 or jigging?    Very nice fish.
  Also,  what weight travala rod were you using for the 7 oz jigs?   I have this rod on my birthday want/need list.   Butt don't want to make a mistake.   7-12 oz jigs would be my target. 
  Thanks for a reply.  Enjoy your bbq.🎣

alantani

but it's not electric!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ldoret94

Gobi King

you have strong fingers my friend,
good looking fish!
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

the rockfish ninja

Nice report.

That's been my exact setup for the past few years, love that stick, very powerful for looking like a bass rod.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Hardy Boy

Gary: I was trolling for the chinook (coho killer spoon). Kids are coming up in early August so I will be chasing salmon in earnest then.

The rod is Shimoano TVSCG3MH rated for 50 to 80 lb. 7 oz fished fine and it might handle a bit more ,like maybe 10 oz, butt 12 oz would be a bit much.

Ninja : those rods are deceiving and very light. I might give it a go for jigging salmon.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd