Tern handle knob, how does it come apart?

Started by Fishead, July 23, 2020, 10:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

I'm trying to figure out how the handle knob comes apart. It has to be a 2 piece knob or the nut on the outer bearing would be almost inaccessible. It's a new reel and I don't want to scratch it up messing with it. Anyone taken one apart yet? How does it come apart without damaging it?
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

Gfish

Looks like an aftermarket knob I have. Tape the jaws of a pair of needlenose pliers and stick a jaw in opposing holes on either side of the top a the knob and twist.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

May be reverse threads to keep the knob from unscrewing itself when cranking.
-steve

Fishead

I tried unscrewing it both ways. Won't budge so far. I'll try it again with more force. Hate to scratch up the new reel.

Gfish

Maybe some penetrating oil soaking for a bit. If that don't do it try some heat, like boiling water. Here's mine so you can see. Threads are clockwise-right, so left to loosen.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Fishead

Got it! Had to use rubber jaw channel lock type pliers to hold other side of knob to keep it from spinning.

Gfish

Good deal! Don't forget'a grease them threads when you screw'er back together.