Fishing the 49

Started by Cuttyhunker, July 26, 2020, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuttyhunker

Yesterday was a good day for stripers on the Sow and Pigs reef west of Cuttyhunk Island. My old 49's weren't feeling their age at all.
Doomed from childhood

Maxed Out

Nicely done Bob. Looks like old school rod too. A broomstick with only 4 eyes !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

Looks like you have a nice tug going on..    More pictures ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Cuttyhunker

Sorry Joe fishing was too good for more pix, Ted the rod probably remembers Johnson in the White House, dad used them on the 6 pack boat, he ran the boat from the stern with an aft tiller the charter party in 2 fighting chairs, at 7ft the rods were just long enough to whack him in the side of the head if the angler was distracted, they soon became back-ups to a pair of 6' Tru tempers if he was fishing greenhorns.  Nice rods, Varmac seats.  The boat is still around from the 60's, renamed, mahogany over oak custom built fishing machine for the Cuttyhunk charter fishery
Doomed from childhood

Ron Jones

Mahogany over oak, a real boat!
Lots of years left in that system, love it.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

That's a beautiful boat!  Looks tip top too!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Finest Kind

Cuttyhunker-I only now saw this old posting and I really enjoyed it. Sow and Pigs reef is hallowed ground for striped bass fisherman. Charley Soares has written a couple of books about fishing Cuttyhunk in the 1950's, "Walking On Water" and "Stemming The Tide". A very interesting place and time. The McKenzie Cuttyhunk bass boats remain my favorite for inshore fishing with the stern tiller and controls. Someday I would like to own a Fortier 26, with the stern tiller, of course!
John

Cuttyhunker

I looked at the Fortier 26's, mostly the same under the waterline, single screw with a full skeg and certainly a few more creature comforts.  Design taken from the old lapstrake Sakonnet 26, a direct competitor to the MacKensie 26. All are roughly takeoffs on the Eldridge-McInnis hard chine, deep forefoot, semi planing hull design.  In the end I settled on an original (1982) Blackfin 25 as the older hard chine designs, while fine sea boats were limited to around 15-20 knots.  The ride, speed, and tank-like construction are more endearing in the Blackie as time marches on, the GIF is running for home at around 25 knots
Doomed from childhood

54bullseye

Quote from: Cuttyhunker on July 26, 2020, 12:03:51 PMYesterday was a good day for stripers on the Sow and Pigs reef west of Cuttyhunk Island. My old 49's weren't feeling their age at all.

Looks like your hooked on bottom LOL !!!!! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Finest Kind

Cuttyhunker- Your Blackfin really moves out. Beautiful boat! I used to own a 30' Pickerell which is built on LI, glass over plywood. Very solid work boat. Below the waterline very similar to a Cuttyhunk bass boat. Deep entry, full keel, hard chine inboard diesel. Loved the boat, except the snap roll could be pretty jarring in a beam sea. Very slow with a 130 hp naturally aspirated diesel. 14 knot cruise! Going offshore required a lot of patience!
John