Post Trip Care

Started by Wgroup, April 05, 2009, 12:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wgroup

What is the recommendation for cleaning reels after use in saltwater.  I have heard various theories ( Soap, no soap, no drag, full drag, etc)  Talking about TLD levers and Avets.  Any help would be appreciated.

alantani

here you go...... http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=290.0

Quote3/22/09 - Questions about general reel maintenance are the most common questions I get.  After all, you've just spent $50 to $500 on a brand new reel and you'd like to keep it looking like new.  You'd also like to keep it WORKING like new.   Think of the dozens of reels in your lifetime that have died and gone to reel heaven.  Now you're buying a new reel to replace an old one and you want THIS one to be different.  That's the way it works, isn't it. 

Maintaining the outside is a simple matter.  Try not to drag it around on the deck, rinse it with fresh water at the end of the day, dry it with a towel, and maybe even wipe it down with a little bit of light oil.  The problem is the inside.  Do you use a lot of water or just a little?  What about Salt Away?  Should you back of the star or leave it buttoned down?  Should you leave the lever in the strike position or free?  How do I keep this reel from seizing up like the last one did?

Personally, I only use star drag reels for local fishing.  Northern California saltwater fishing is pretty light duty most of the time.  After a long day on the water we'll get home, I'll hand off the rods and reels to the kids and turn them loose with a water hose.  If I'm lucky, they might even get around to actually drying everything.  Just as often as not, the rods and reels are stowed in the garage, dripping wet, with some of the drags buttoned down and others loose.  The next week, we'll load everything up on the boat, go fish and usually not have a single problem with our tackle.  Most guys will run into problems with a lax maintenance schedule like this.  We will do fine because the reels had been serviced when they were brand new. 

The most important thing you can do to maintain your reel is to service it when it is brand new.  The mantra is greased carbon fiber drag washers, spool bearings that are open and lightly lubed, level wind assemblies that are lightly lubed, non-spool bearings that are packed with grease, grease on all the screws and a light coat of grease on all the non-exposed surfaces.  Do a thorough job the first time and your reel should last for years.  Done properly, the only things in your reel that should remain at risk are the spool bearings.  If you pack the spool bearings with grease, they will never rust, but you won't be able to cast either.  If you lube them and leave them, they will eventually rust.  The best maintenance schedule, then, is to thoroughly service your reel first.  After every fishing trip, rinse your reel with fresh water and dry it with a towel or compressed air.  Finally, lube the bearings and the level wind assembly with a light oil.  Stick with this schedule and your reel should last for years. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!