"Plate Type" Reel Seat Solution?

Started by nelz, July 26, 2020, 09:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RC4600

I have used these on 2 rods, ended taking them off both. I found they were flimsy, agree with Steve they are ok on light rods, but since I seem to overbuild everything I didn't trust them, I used epoxied wrapping thread so they had a solid mount but the reel wobbled around too much for my liking. +++ the reel sits pretty high on a casting rod set up. Depending on rig possible alternative would be these clamps. RC

oldmanjoe

I have two sticks with the fuji plates, and i like them.   Nice clean look and plenty strong.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

The Fishing Hobby

I can't answer the question about how they hold up for bigger setups, because I mostly build ultralight freshwater rods. I can show you one way to make a reel seat assembly of sorts using a plate style seat that may be useful in bigger setups, or at least give someone some ideas.
I put together this video a while back and the reel seat turned out really nice for my application. I don't see why a similar setup wouldn't be useful for a larger rod/reel situation.

UKChris1

Quote from: RC4600 on July 27, 2020, 11:48:50 AM
I have used these on 2 rods, ended taking them off both. I found they were flimsy, agree with Steve they are ok on light rods, but since I seem to overbuild everything I didn't trust them, I used epoxied wrapping thread so they had a solid mount but the reel wobbled around too much for my liking. +++ the reel sits pretty high on a casting rod set up. Depending on rig possible alternative would be these clamps. RC

Had them on a couple of beach casters for the UK - chucking 5oz leads. Took them off and replaced with the clamps above. The reels work loose in use if not really tight or the clip jambs solid when you want to get your reel off at the end of the day.
Chris