Mono or Braid - Suggestions?

Started by Ontherock, July 27, 2020, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontherock

Hi:

I have an 8000 Fierce 2 and a 309 level wind that I use boat fishing for cod. I've only ever used mono because, quite frankly, I couldn't justify the $20+ cost of braid (per reel) vs $5 worth of mono for the few times I get to go out. That ended today when I picked up two 150m rolls of 50# J-Braid x8 for $10 total. Just couldn't pass it up.

I started searching the forum to see what others experienced switching to braid and, to be honest, I'm more confused now than ever! Some say it's better than mono, some say it's not and some say it's better on the Fierce than the level wind.

Also, what's the best way to add it to my existing reels? They both have about 75 fathoms of 40# mono on them

Cor

"Some say it's better than mono, some say it's not and some say it's better on the Fierce than the level wind"

Yip that's because there is no simple answer to this and the choices are influenced by what you intend to do and catch or simple personal preferences as well.
If you plan to cast your reels, then braid is probably better on the spinning reel and mono on the conventional.

Cornelis

Swami805

For cod fishing you'll like the braid, much thinner so you'll need less weight and very sensitive so you'll feel every little bite. 150 meters isn't much on the 309, both spools together might not fill it up. I use it for rockfish here to about 350 feet, couldn't imagine going back to mono.
Don't really use spinning reels so couldn't comment on that.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ontherock

Normally I'm in the 20 - 40 fathoms range so the amount of braid on those reels should be enough for what I'd need.

How's the best way to set up my reels? Remove about 40 fathoms of the existing mono and just wind the braid on top? How much tension should I use?

philaroman

a proper braid spool-up for either reel will cost more than $20, but you'd be good for decades of rare use (unless you encounter abrasion far up the line...  or, user error!!!)  it's actually more cost-effective than respooling mono every couple years

150m 50# seems too short & too light for your reels, but $10/2 is a great bargain to experiment & decide if the strength & sensitivity are worth the the extra hassles...

!!!zero stretch + thin diameter, means braid will slice you to the bone, where mono would barely break skin!!!

Swami805

It needs to be wound on under tension, really tight. I wind the braid onto a big heavy penn senator first then put the reel i'm using on a rod and wind it on from the senator with the drag backed off so it's almost being lifted off the ground. I've never used mono for backing like that, I use either dacron or heavier braid for backing. The mono could work, I've never done it so I'm not sure.
  Braid should last a very long time so it saves $ in the long run.

oc1

With braid you can do the job with a smaller reel.  Putting braid on a 309 doesn't make much sense to me.  Using braid, it would hold about 3/4 mile of 30#.  If you beef the line strength up to 65 or 80#, then the reel becomes the weak link.  If the spool is mostly backing then you are lugging the big 309 around when a #9 would do the same job.
-steve

Rivverrat

I've found it best & I believe Alan recommends winding your braid on at the same level as your drag used while fishing. So based on the 1/3 of line rating rule using 30 lb. line wind your braid on at 10 lbs.  Winding braid on under tension saves some problems such as the braid digging into itself with fish on. I believe braid wound under tension cast better, also when occasionally my thumb has a brain fart..  what ever birds nest is there "seems" to be noticeably less.

Braid & mono are two different things. Mono is more durable in the water when hooked up while on wrecks, rocks, logs etc. Mono in some form or another can be near invisible in the water. Mono is cheap to buy & replace.

Mono degrades quicker in the sun. In comparison mono takes up a tremendous amount of real estate on a reel. There are other cons to mono however the one that bugs me most & was the cause of a few lost fish is mono stretches. It has over the years got better. But still it doesnt take that long of a cast to get 5' & even 10' or more stretch out of mono when pulling.

Braid does well in the sun going years with out noticeable issue with better known brands. Braid doesnt have good abrasion resistance. However with fish pulling straight away  braid going straight over the top of log,rock... abrasion resistance can be quite good. It's when fish turns & crosses right or left in front of you while the braid is making contact with wreck or rock that causes it to part almost immediately.

We can now when using braid pack on more line than could have ever been imagined not to long ago. Braid of the same test as mono will always, because of its smaller diameter hold in current better. Braid has little to no stretch.
  Years back when first using braid I broke two St. Croix Musky rods. One casting... probably a bit more weight than I should've. The other setting a hook on a Flathead under 40 lbs. I was using straight braid no mono leader or top shot. Now even though the rods have become better at suffering abuse in the hands of a hillbilly like myself, I will not use braid depending on situation without at least a 4' leader. Mainly for abrasion resistance & also the helpful stretch / shock load strength it provides.

In general combining these two lines is widely accepted. Meaning filling reel with braid but leaving room for a topshot of what ever length mono you choose. This can be 25 - 100 yards  if trolling & of course depending on size of reel.
If casting I like a length of mono as long or slightly longer than my longest cast. Seems to work very well. Allows me a lot of times to cut the cheaper mono when snagged & as stated prior by Philarmon, this can make braid cost effective long term. if max casting distance is wanted I shorten the length of mono drastically.

Some who fish straight down or close to bottom or any structure use straight braid because of its lack of stretch. Friend of mine says lack of stretch in this instance is more important to him  than abrasion resistance. Any thing other than braided steel or wire would be cut any way.

As I get older I find unless given reason not to I lose track of time... I gotta hit the rack... Jeff

Ontherock

Thanks guys - really appreciate all your info and suggestions!

Swami805

I still fish with mono a lot especially on 10' casting rods. I use braid backing on all of them with 100 yds of mono on top. I change mono often so it saves me a bunch of $ only having to change 100yds.
I don't use straight braid for anything really, always at least a rod length of mono or floro leader

Lingwendil

Quote from: oc1 on July 27, 2020, 04:56:47 AM
With braid you can do the job with a smaller reel.  Putting braid on a 309 doesn't make much sense to me.  Using braid, it would hold about 3/4 mile of 30#.  If you beef the line strength up to 65 or 80#, then the reel becomes the weak link.  If the spool is mostly backing then you are lugging the big 309 around when a #9 would do the same job.
-steve

Do you think running some 50-80-# greenspot dacron would be a good choice for the 309, 209, and similar reels if dropping deep to prevent stretch?  
https://www.cortlandline.com/collections/dacron/products/dacron-trolling-igfa-greenspot

I've been thinking of trying some on one of my Penns or maybe an older direct drive Pflueger. This stuff definitely has the old-school look to it, which always helps :)
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Keta

I back most of my Spectra filled reels with Dacron, some reels more than others.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

Sure, Dacron makes good backing but is thicker that braid

Ron Jones

For the fishing described, I like the dacron backing idea. Especially for the 309. You will put a LOT of 50# braid on a 309, way more than 40 fathoms worth, but as others have said it is the bees knees for bottom fishing. Maybe 1/3 of the spool dacron and then tie in the braid. That way, if you have to cut off 40 fathoms of line from a snag you still have plenty of braid to get to the bottom.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on July 27, 2020, 02:50:32 PM
Sure, Dacron makes good backing but is thicker that braid

A lot thicker.  I have 200-900 yards of Spectra on top of the Dacron on most of my reels.   Some reels only have a few yards of Dacron, some none depending on the reel sixe and use.

Quote from: Ron Jones on July 27, 2020, 04:07:01 PM
.... if you have to cut off 40 fathoms of line from a snag you still have plenty of braid to get to the bottom.

I tie a short section of lighter mono on the end of my Spectra so it breaks first, 50# mono on 60/65 pound Spectra for halibut.  Spectra floats, it takes a long time to break down and is not cheep so I try to avoid leaving it in the water.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain