Mono or Braid - Suggestions?

Started by Ontherock, July 27, 2020, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontherock

Quote from: thorhammer on July 30, 2020, 12:47:37 PM
The beauty of this site is you get glean from global experience- Steve is in Hi, Lee in PNW, I'm in NC, etc etc, and we all fish for different things in different ways, so what happens is you get a good look at different ways to skin a cat, and maybe you take away a bit of each to skin yours the best way for you. Dacron certainly has it's applications and I use it for various things where it works best for me- backing, planer and kite lines. I have all intents to put some on an old Squidder and sling it with the vintage Harnell it's on. I only specified mono as 1) you have mono on reel and maybe there's enough already and 2) you can usually get a cheap spool of mono for backing readily; dacron is not as cheap or readily available for, as you say, experimenting.

Let us know what you come up with, and how it works- preferably with a cod!

John

I have the braid spooled with a 15' mono leader
I'll let you know how it works this weekend - weather permitting!

I'll let you all know how it works this weekend - weather permitting!

thorhammer

Thanks, Lee! I have avoided stacking.

Rocks, good luck!

Keta

Quote from: thorhammer on August 01, 2020, 02:46:01 PM
".... I have avoided stacking...."

Have you tried running a second bait or lure on a slider on the line in the release?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ontherock

Thanks, Lee! I have avoided stacking.

Rocks, good luck!

First time using braid instead of mono! Got our regulation 5 cod each!

Removed about 20 fathoms of the 40 pound mono and spooled on 165 yards of 50 pound braid and then topped it off with a 15' leader of the mono using double uni knots for both. Did seem like it was more responsive than the mono (was fishing at about 35 fathoms) but did find one strange issue - lure fouling. All three of us were using similar lures and equipment but my reel with the braid kept fouling the lure. Had to haul up and unfoul it up several times but the other two guys using mono only never had a hitch. Is this a common issue or was I having a bad day?

Keta

I have never noticed this.   One problem I do have is wind whip when trolling, that is why I use 200' topshots on my trolling reels, not downrigger reels though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ontherock

Lee:

Thought it was strange too. Sea conditions were almost flat calm, no tide, nothing out of the ordinary that I could see. Pretty well perfect conditions. Only thing that came to mind afterwards was a possible change in the speed of the sinking lure. Since the braid was only half the diameter of the mono, I was wondering if my lure was sinking at a faster rate than the other guys, with the resulting increase in speed causing the hook (with drag from the artificial bait) sinking at a slightly slower speed than its 5 ounce weight above it creating the foul? Just guessing as this is my first time using braid.
Open to suggestions...

Swami805

We're you using the 309 or the spinning reel?  With the spinning reel Run the line thru your fingers on the decent to keep a tiny bit of pressure on it so there's no slack. Use your thumb on the spool for the 309. Keep everything straight up and down. Also at times there can be different current at the top of the water column than the bottom, if the lure flutters like a spoon does that can cause it to tangle
Did you put bait on the lure? Sometimes that will cause the lure to sink hook up causing tangles
Do what you can with that you have where you are

nelz

I love braid but that's one of the negatives, it tangles like crazy, you really have to learn how to handle it.

Ontherock

Quote from: Swami805 on August 03, 2020, 01:39:53 PM
We're you using the 309 or the spinning reel?  With the spinning reel Run the line thru your fingers on the decent to keep a tiny bit of pressure on it so there's no slack. Use your thumb on the spool for the 309. Keep everything straight up and down. Also at times there can be different current at the top of the water column than the bottom, if the lure flutters like a spoon does that can cause it to tangle
Did you put bait on the lure? Sometimes that will cause the lure to sink hook up causing tangles

I was using the 309. Figured I'd try it on that one first before I switched the Fierce over as well. I was using the thumb from time to time to keep the spool from over-reving but maybe not paying enough attention to it.
The lure only had the artificial bait on it.

Ontherock

Quote from: nelz on August 03, 2020, 03:03:11 PM
I love braid but that's one of the negatives, it tangles like crazy, you really have to learn how to handle it.

Guess I'll be a bit more careful next time.
Glad to hear it just wasn't me!

Dominick

You probably are dropping down too fast.  Try lowering a little slower.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Swami805

Was it a lead head with some kind of tail on it? Sometimes those kind of spin if the tail isn't on straight. Watch it sink off the side of the boat next time and see how it does
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ontherock

Quote from: Swami805 on August 03, 2020, 10:02:21 PM
Was it a lead head with some kind of tail on it? Sometimes those kind of spin if the tail isn't on straight. Watch it sink off the side of the boat next time and see how it does

Here it is. I'll keep an eye on it next week.

Lingwendil

What type of braid did you end up going with? I just got an aluminum spool and some carbontex drags for my new to me 309 and I'm thinking of what to put on it. Was thinking 50-65# Dacron or power pro with a 30# mono topshot. Was thinking of going with straight big game solar collector but think braid might be a better idea.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Cor

Quote from: thorhammer on July 30, 2020, 12:47:37 PM
The beauty of this site is you get glean from global experience- Steve is in Hi, Lee in PNW, I'm in NC, etc etc, and we all fish for different things in different ways, so what happens is you get a good look at different ways to skin a cat, and maybe you take away a bit of each to skin yours the best way for you. Dacron certainly has it's applications and I use it for various things where it works best for me- backing, planer and kite lines. I have all intents to put some on an old Squidder and sling it with the vintage Harnell it's on. I only specified mono as 1) you have mono on reel and maybe there's enough already and 2) you can usually get a cheap spool of mono for backing readily; dacron is not as cheap or readily available for, as you say, experimenting.

Let us know what you come up with, and how it works- preferably with a cod!

John

Agreed, so true.   I for one have never considered Dacron as a line of choice, I always thought it's the same as Spectra/Dynema, just thicker and who wants thicker?   I've learned something again.

Is like I used straight braid as a leader on to my lure for about 12 years, mainly for its strength.   This works very well, but caused a huge outcry when I mentioned it to some, because it is 100% opposite to what most people do and believe in.
The only reason I stopped doing it is because it is too thin and cuts your hand if you attempt to pick up a fish by the leader.
Cornelis