Mono or Braid - Suggestions?

Started by Ontherock, July 27, 2020, 12:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontherock

Quote from: Lingwendil on August 04, 2020, 03:28:49 AM
What type of braid did you end up going with? I just got an aluminum spool and some carbontex drags for my new to me 309 and I'm thinking of what to put on it. Was thinking 50-65# Dacron or power pro with a 30# mono topshot. Was thinking of going with straight big game solar collector but think braid might be a better idea.

I picked up two 150m rolls of 50# J-Braid X8 at a local store for $5 per roll so I gave it a try. My 309 was spooled with 40# mono so I just removed some, spooled on the braid and used 15' of the mono as a leader. The mono is more abrasion resistant for contact with bottom items and the larger diameter makes it easier on the hands to lift the fish in.
You should read through the entire thread as some guys had some great info on using braid.

Keta

Try changing out the treble hook on the bottom for a assist hook on the top.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ontherock

Lee:

Call me a newbie but not quite sure what you're describing ???. Would you have a pic?

thorhammer

google butterfly jig assist hook. its a snelled single hook attached at the head of a lure, directly to a welded ring the mainline is attached to. the jig itself is also attached to the ring. less fouling.

Ontherock

Thanks!
Never seen that done before. Our usual hooks were always bottom mounted so you could jig when the fish were full of bait and weren't actually biting.

Benni3

I just got some 50lb power pro and it has a new box,,, ??? But I don't know if it's new and improved or just the same,,,,,, ;D

Lingwendil

I ordered a 300yd roll of tuf-line 50# to check out, I may run it on my 309 with a top shot of 25# or higher big game solar collector.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)