Your favorite tool...

Started by Alto Mare, July 29, 2020, 09:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I've been a GC for over 40 years (forced to retire from health issues)and wanted to mention that this particular ratchet set has helped me along the way many times.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-3-8-in-Drive-6-Point-Gear-Ratchet-and-Socket-Set-21-Piece-8921/202330496

There are tools that are well design and as you know there are others that don't make any sense.
This one is designed to perfection, well to me anyway.

I was working on a reel yesterday and the aluminum rotor nut was frozen on the ss pinion.
Tried many things with no luck.
I then remembered this set.
I've had it for easy over 25 years, I think Sears was running a special.
Since the ratchet is drilled all the way through, the spool shaft was no problem being in the way.

With very little effort, the rotor nut came right out.

This is a good tool to have on your bench, it will help in many ways.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that out.

Best,

S
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gobi King

I cleaned up the link,
Good tool to have, I love the ratchet feature to quickly undo nuts in a tight place.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Swami805

Looks like a handy tool, thanks for the link
Do what you can with that you have where you are

foakes

Thanks, Sal --

I nave seen those -- but have not used them.

But I do use my Craftsman ratchet wrenches quite often -- especially when access is tight.

Have a pretty complete set of 20 sizes that I normally need.  Standard and metric.

When you need these --  nothing else works as quickly and efficiently -- and there is no distortion of the nut or bolt head due to using the wrong tool.

They have saved a lot of knuckles -- as well as wasted cussing.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

I remember those but these days I just use a ratcheting combo wrench.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Yes Mark of course there are other ways, to me this would be the only tool I would use on rotors, especially when the spool shaft can't come out prior.

This will eliminate stripping the head on the nut and it will also save the lip on the rotor, since it comes with an extension that helps keeping the ratchet off the rotor.
I thought for around $40 it is a good investment, but of course it's up to you guys.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cor

:D :D
Cornelis

Alto Mare

You can find them at many places, but the price might increase.

Sal

Alto Mare

Gfish

I like it. Perhaps in most cases, an answer to having to have an additional set of deep sockets. There's alot nut/stud fasteners on automobiles you could use Sal's socket set on. Of course the rachet combo wrenches would do the same thing, but that would be a whole set of new wrenches for me.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks Sal,  I've also invested in some of these good tools.  It seems at first, why did I buy these.  Most times a box end or socket will do the same thing?  Butt, the open in the box ratchet is unique and the leverage down low even with the bolt/nut has a advantage and certainly feels more confident in leveraging.
   Any good tool invested in will usually bring some satisfaction eventually,  good tools can be passed down through generations.   Almost never do things get cheaper, nor worn out.   Pray for peace from the virus 🦠

reelrepair123

my favorite tool is a slotted screwdriver that locks into the screw head of the screw , it makes it so easy when your installing a sideplate or crossbar to just pick up the screwdriver with the screw attached and slide it into the hole and turn it to start the screw. another favorite , an awl, to line up where the screw goes, i slide the awl into the hole of a crossbar, to align the part, then install the screw in another crossbar. a big favorite is my dremel,   i use stainless steel 1in. wire brushes to remove corrosion and gunk also to polish up the chrome, and i use a cutoff wheel to cut objects ,dremel by far my favorite tool.   harryk

thorhammer

I second Harry- maybe not my fav, but grandad's old ice pick is great for lining up rings / plates. Dremel is up there. I do fancy my Porter Cable recip saw. it can cut a car in half. I actually cut up a boat trailer axls and all and put it in the trash can. mitotoyu calipers, check.

And of course my AT Penn wrench!!!1

foakes

Like most of us, I have many tools.

Hard to pick favorites -- they all have a use -- or I would not keep them.

For reel work -- a small, quality pair of ignition pliers are extremely versatile and useful.  These are like a tiny pair of Channel-Locks or plumbers pipe pliers.  I have one pair on the rack of my work station -- and a second pair in my reel repair go-bag.

Another favorite set of tools are various Vise-Grips.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.