alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Your favorite tool...
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 07, 2020, 05:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite tool...  (Read 377 times)
Donnyboat, Snuffysmif (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« on: July 29, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »

Iíve been a GC for over 40 years (forced to retire from health issues)and wanted to mention that this particular ratchet set has helped me along the way many times.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-3-8-in-Drive-6-Point-Gear-Ratchet-and-Socket-Set-21-Piece-8921/202330496

There are tools that are well design and as you know there are others that donít make any sense.
This one is designed to perfection, well to me anyway.

I was working on a reel yesterday and the aluminum rotor nut was frozen on the ss pinion.
Tried many things with no luck.
I then remembered this set.
Iíve had it for easy over 25 years, I think Sears was running a special.
Since the ratchet is drilled all the way through, the spool shaft was no problem being in the way.

With very little effort, the rotor nut came right out.

This is a good tool to have on your bench, it will help in many ways.

Anyways, I just wanted to put that out.

Best,

S
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:43:35 AM by Gobi King » Logged

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Gobi King
Firearms Group

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 03:45:50 AM »

I cleaned up the link,
Good tool to have, I love the ratchet feature to quickly undo nuts in a tight place.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
Swami805

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 04:28:46 AM »

Looks like a handy tool, thanks for the link
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 06:15:26 AM »

Thanks, Sal --

I nave seen those -- but have not used them.

But I do use my Craftsman ratchet wrenches quite often -- especially when access is tight.

Have a pretty complete set of 20 sizes that I normally need.  Standard and metric.

When you need these --  nothing else works as quickly and efficiently -- and there is no distortion of the nut or bolt head due to using the wrong tool.

They have saved a lot of knuckles -- as well as wasted cussing.

Best,

Fred

* A9649B75-5C35-4607-AC95-A9514F6E3636.jpeg (26.88 KB, 238x320 - viewed 157 times.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:16:33 AM by foakes » Logged

Self-worth is how you value yourself. Itís not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or havenít) accomplishedóit comes from within. But itís easy to forget that our worth isnít determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.

In life, be flexible, willing to listen to others, willing to change your mind based on your good judgement -- that is how progress is made, and new horizons are discovered.  When the winds of change blow -- A flexible limb moves and thrives -- a stiff and stubborn limb just snaps.
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 06:21:19 AM »

I remember those but these days I just use a ratcheting combo wrench.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
Alto Mare

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 08:05:06 AM »

Thanks guys!
Yes Mark of course there are other ways, to me this would be the only tool I would use on rotors, especially when the spool shaft canít come out prior.

This will eliminate stripping the head on the nut and it will also save the lip on the rotor, since it comes with an extension that helps keeping the ratchet off the rotor.
I thought for around $40 it is a good investment, but of course itís up to you guys.

Sal
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:09:26 AM by Alto Mare » Logged

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Cor
Cape Town
Firearms Group

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy

* Untitled.jpg (73.54 KB, 1191x324 - viewed 9 times.)

Cornelis
Alto Mare

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »

You can find them at many places, but the price might increase.

Sal

Gobi King
Firearms Group

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 11:29:00 AM »

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GEARWRENCH-3-8-in-Drive-6-Point-Gear-Ratchet-and-Socket-Set-21-Piece-8921/202330496

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan
Alto Mare

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »

Thank you Gobi!

Sal

Gfish
Gfish

What? Me worry?

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »

I like it. Perhaps in most cases, an answer to having to have an additional set of deep sockets. There's alot nut/stud fasteners on automobiles you could use Sal's socket set on. Of course the rachet combo wrenches would do the same thing, but that would be a whole set of new wrenches for me.

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!
gstours
Firearms Group

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »

Thanks Sal,  Iíve also invested in some of these good tools.  It seems at first, why did I buy these.  Most times a box end or socket will do the same thing?  Butt, the open in the box ratchet is unique and the leverage down low even with the bolt/nut has a advantage and certainly feels more confident in leveraging.
   Any good tool invested in will usually bring some satisfaction eventually,  good tools can be passed down through generations.   Almost never do things get cheaper, nor worn out.   Pray for peace from the virus 🦠
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: