Undesired free spool Penn International 975

Started by jzumi, July 30, 2020, 02:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzumi

Would somebody be so kind as to explain what is going on with this reel, please?  Thanks!

Trusty, old 975 that I service every winter.  It's used on a downrigger for salmon trolling and has worked fine for many years.  Until today.  On two occasions it went into free spool without anyone touching the button .  I was putting it into the rod holder with the crank already engaged when all of a sudden it was like the parking brakes let go and the spool birdnested.  Almost like the antireverse suddenly let go on its own.

I haven't opened it up yet.  What should I be looking for and what is the fix?  Also we use another 975 on the other downrigger.  Is there some preventive maintenance that can help us avoid this problem?

Thanks for all the help.

John

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

crud....

if the handle did not go backwards, that means that the pinion gear would have to disengage.  possibly corrosion on the spool shaft and inside the pinion gear itself.  check for that first!  please let us know what you find!!!!

jzumi

No corrosion was evident, shaft and pinion gear looked nice and shiny.  Blue Yammy grease was used on the AR bearing so I soaked it in brake cleen and put a thin coating of TSI 321 on the little rollers.  We'll see if that does anything.

John

alantani

Rancanfish

Yeah I'm going with the A/R being greased instead of light oiled.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jzumi

Neither of us can remember for sure but the handle did probably spin backwards.

So, it's probably the greasy AR.  The wind has decided to come up for a few days so it'll be a while before we can get back on the water to give it a test. I'll report the results.  Thanks for all the help!

alantani

the best thing to do might be to replace the AR bearing.  just oil it first.