Reno Salmon

Started by Hardy Boy, July 27, 2020, 03:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

I would never argue with Ted as a guy has to do what works for him. I usually make smoked candy so its been skinned and scales/ slime are not an issue but as far as freezing I've never had a complaint about my salmon being fishy. ...................... but as stated I'm super anal about keeping the fish dry and clean so no slime or scales gets on the flesh................... I've seen lots of horror shows at the cleaning table with everything and everybody covered in slime and guts ! ::) Do what works for you and enjoy.

Ted: yes we can keep non-marked chinook and coho. Regs change for coho in early August. I won't complain about our opportunities as it could be worse .................... but its a far cry from the good old days.
Todd

Maxed Out

Ahhh yes, I recall the "good old days" when I could go to Ucuelet and hop on a barf boat to go grab 4 big kings, then pay $65 to go out for afternoon trip to get my 2 halibut, all in the same day !!

I do cut the skin off my salmon for smoking, the same as you do, and water never touches my salmon exactly as you described
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

How do he sushi places make salmon skin taste so good?  Like seafood bacon.
-steve

Brewcrafter

I'm with Steve on that one! - john

whalebreath

Quote from: oc1 on July 28, 2020, 10:57:28 PM
How do....sushi places make salmon skin taste so good?  Like seafood bacon...
Scaled and a certain amount of fat (the grey stuff) left attached to the skin  then 'toasted' on the grill.

Gobi King

Being asian by birth, I can tell most of Asia steak cuts most fish and descales them.
I just peel the skin off and then steak cut them.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Donnyboat

Nice fish Todd, & thanks for all the info, one small tip for you though, you are aloud to smile when you catch good fish, keep well, stay safe, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Ha! Yeah Todd. You aren't really frowning in that picture, but I like your avatar better.

I used to bleed and gut mine on the water if possible, then fillet 'em at home. Then I married an Asian woman: "Oh-oh!, you are gonna to wasting too much fish, let me having them!" She scaled 'em, then cooked 'em whole, spiced with stuff I never tried before. Marriage is great sometimes.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!